Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #11

Re: tyvek???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl

Don't so quickly dismiss an insulation idea because it does not fit your definition of what you think makes sense. Your assumptions may or may not be correct.
Totally agree but in this case I'm not dismissing the idea of cotton insulation on foil quickly. I've touched it, smelled it, even used it before. I know it's properties and if it was what I wanted to use right now (I may eventually use it if no other options pan-out) I wouldn't be discussing this other idea.

mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

I will be visiting Sportsmobile next month. I do not know exactly what they currently use. From the photos I have seen it looks like they just stick stuff in cavities where they can. Does not look like it would be very effective. I will ask if they have ever considered the UltraTouch or other. I know I will want the best I can afford. Your solution may (or may not) be the one.
FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Some others have posted up their insulation projects, many have gone with some sort of soundproofing material like dynamat, I used it and dynapad on the front floor under new carpeting and would like one day to line the whole van with it or a similar product like quiet ride and then put some sort of insulation in, seems the easiest would be fiberglass? Search the forum, or if anyone can find the link to an insulation job, post it up.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #14

lots of good reading

This is a GREAT build thread on a sprinter by a guy who does LOTS of stuff very well and did his research before hand. It's on advrider.com and it's the "geek van" thread. you may have heard of it. this is a link to a page where he discusses and demonstrates his insulation strategy. one i've considered but don't see as ideal.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... st23310873
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs
Thoughts? Suggestions? Positive or Negative are welcome, I'm here to learn not be patted on the back.
By chance are you over thinking the issue? I mean, these vehicles have wheels and go into vastly different environments. Just like in insulation for housing, a perfect solution for one climate zone may not be appropriate, necessary, or even recommended in another.

The rigs are far from being air tight (unless you have the Lexus model). You could see daylight under the barn doors in my 2008 fresh from the showroom floor. Take any rig down a dusty road and see how much dust enters the cab without using positive air pressure to keep it out. Every seal including the penthouse is a potential leak point.

Also how you camp will impact moisture and condensation as well. We always seemed to have the doors or windows open unless it was freezing outside. Unless you are boiling a lot of water inside, I think the moisture issue (at least in the low humidity West) isn't a concern. I didn't find anywhere where you gave your location so maybe it is more of a priority than I make it out to be. I just thought I would add my 2 cents so that others with just the standard SMB insulation wouldn't automatically think the sky was falling and start ripping out their walls only to find things nice and dry.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #16

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-serv ... awrap-r5-0
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #17

uhm YEAH

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-serv ... awrap-r5-0

THAT IS VERY INTERESTING. Nice find!!!

Google-fu turned up to 11
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
evy

I'm planing my first DIY campervan as we speak and I'm an architectural technician, I was asking myself all these questions, how to compare wall insulation on a van vs a house, one thing's for sure the insulation in a van's walls will be subjected to the vibrations of the moving vehicle and won't help the sagging issue.
In my opinion, the outside body will act as a vapor barrier and may trap humidity and depending on the outside temperature you may end up with ice or condensation etc...
I'm starting to think spray foam is the best option, and maybe sealing up the front cab with a good thick layer of fabric when parked?
It's hard to find decent and logic information on this subject, everybody has their own opinion, lot's of bubble wrap and subfloor felt believers (no offense to anyone).
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #19

I have read a lot of advice against spray foam. Have also read a lot about the insulation value of foil & bubble wrap combo being over rated.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl
I have read a lot of advice against spray foam. Have also read a lot about the insulation value of foil & bubble wrap combo being over rated.
The only negative thing I heard about spray foam is that it's messy and it may warp the body panels but I'm not concerned with that, in the lower cavitys or between two body panels I would use the low expansion type like we use around windows and doors, then high expansion could be used everywhere else.
Did you hear anything else bad about spray foam?
I think spray foam would also help with sound deadening and eliminate vibrations.