Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #11

I know you have a tank, but another option if a smaller-diameter tank would be easy to mount:
LPG Tank with Regulator [Bus/Vanagon] | GoWesty
(also search the site, they have a couple of different mounting variations for different models that may be easier to mount for you)

Those are 8" diameter.

Price seems high until you compare to most places pricing for new DOT ASME tanks.

If/when I go mounted propane, that's the tank I'll likely use.

Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

I came across this when looking into how to mount a tank.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #13

For some reason I can't attach more than one picture.
Should get the idea though.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

Thanks Herbie!

A buddy of mine specializes in Baywindow and Vanagons, and popular Westy conversions... I asked him about sourcing a 3.3gal unit, he laughed!

It's a pretty sought after piece among the VW camper guys, and he thought a little small for a Ford van with a furnace. He says his customers are always running out of propane on trips, and carry the $3 disposable bottle and adapter as a back up. I also looked at the Gowesty site last night, they offer the 3.3gal, $375, and a longer 5gal unit, built by Manchester, at $500. If I can't make my 10gal $50 craigslist tank work, the Gowesty/Manchester unit would be an option, an expensive one, but an option. I'd still need to build mounts, and come up with a door (it's a 4x4, don't want the new tank hanging low)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #15

Yeah, for me in SoCal, the propane would be 80% used with a tap to run a camp stove outside the van, and maybe only 20% for heating, so my major criteria is getting the tank tucked up tight under the body. (Note that I don't have a proper frame in my Astro)
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I came across this when looking into how to mount a tank.
Thanks for the pic.

I'm having more of a problem with the diameter and fitting the 12" diameter tank between the frame and lower valence of the body. There is only about 12", without cutting into the double-wall lower body panel.

Is that and air tank or propane? It looks a little on the small side for propane...
Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
It appears that I have an extra port on my tank for (perhaps!) one of those gauges....that would be handy.......
Have you installed a tank gauge yet? It should just be a plastic gauge that snaps on to the internal level indicator. about $20 IIRC.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #18

That was an air tank. But the mounting could be similar.
I found a small used westy tank on craigslist for 25 bucks. The guy was cleaning up his van and just wanted a new one so he unloaded this one cheap. It is in good shape. They are out there if you can be patient.

As far as the size of it, it may be a little small. We spent 5 nights at mt. resorts a few weeks ago. A 20lb tank (I think 4.7-5 gallons) lasted all week running the propex virtually non stop all afternoon and evenings. Except of one day when we drove to a new mt. I left it running on low for the dogs as well as not freezing our water etc. temps were in the single digits.
We also used it for cooking breakfast and coffee and dinner on the stove most days.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #19

"Overfill prevention isn't absolutely necessary on a fixed cylinder",

I had a bad experience on my old van once that an overfill prevention device would have prevented. The local propane supplier overfilled my tank, but aparently there is a check valve in the line that prevents liquid propane from reaching the heater or stove. Neither would light, there was no pressure at either. I was on the road and ended up replacing the regulator, then the hose before figuring out there was a check valve. I had to vent out a lot of propane to get it to flow again. Now when I'm getting the tank filled I pay close attention to the gauge.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #20

For a propane tank under mount, I thought this was a really neat solution I had not heard of before:

http://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Propa.../dp/B00EP1T4J8

This would allow a nice size tank to be mounted laterally behind the rear axle and have the fill bracket mounted elsewhere. Not cheap but seems like a very nice solution.