Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #11

Re: Fiberine Top Yellowing?

Herb, sold the old top couple months ago. Wish I had that quality on my current top.

Andrew, considering a few options for a solution. Both parties (Fiberine & TechAmerica) have mentioned the UV stabilizer issue but neither will make a statement about wether my top was produced without it.

I have quotes to paint the top from $1200.00-$2400.00 which is what really needs to be done. Both paint place state they have never seen fiberglass yellow this quick. Everyone who has seen it seems to think there was a problem with the original pour. I may just have it painted and work on a remedy with them after the paint. I have been holding off this whole time hoping they would do the right thing.

It irritates me every time I see the van now.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Herb, sold the old top couple months ago. Wish I had that quality on my current top.

Andrew, considering a few options for a solution. Both parties (Fiberine & TechAmerica) have mentioned the UV stabilizer issue but neither will make a statement about wether my top was produced without it.

I have quotes to paint the top from $1200.00-$2400.00 which is what really needs to be done. Both paint place state they have never seen fiberglass yellow this quick. Everyone who has seen it seems to think there was a problem with the original pour. I may just have it painted and work on a remedy with them after the paint. I have been holding off this whole time hoping they would do the right thing.

if you where in chicago i would paint it for free for you...dam $1200to$2400.
bill1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

That is to paint the whole van and not just the top right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #14

Just the top. Apparently it has to go into a semi truck paint booth because of the height.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Why not rhino or other spray. I really like what SMB put on mine (Raptor) and it cleans very easy.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #16

I had Line-X in El Cajon spray my penthouse and roof over 2.5 years ago and the color still matches the Baja Tan perfectly. I would expect white stability to be similar with the UV option. They had no trouble with the height since they do not need to spray in an enclosed booth. I highly recommend them and went back to them with my Comanche for some work. Of course you have to accept the texture and weight but it solved so many problems it was a no brainer for my situation.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
Site Team

You could always go with a different color if you're concerned about it not matching. Personally, I always wanted the factory two tone paint option available on the vans, but it is/was only available if you ordered some number (6-12 ?) of vans at the same time, all painted the same. The second color was below the body line.

Herb
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #18

Your experience doesn't give me a very good feeling about Fiberine, to put it mildly. I'm sorry you're having to go through it, and I understand how it can tarnish your entire van experience.

I can't speak to the various Line-X type products, but if you want a shiny, matching finish (like the gelcoat *should* have been), then I would suggest a good, two-part LPU type coating. Either something like Awlgrip (polyester) or Awlcraft (acrylic). These two variations are also made by other brands (Sterling, etc.). The polyester variant tends to be harder and shinier, but less easily repairable or buffable (OTOH, may not need buffing for a looong time), whereas the acrylic base is more easily repairable or buffable but less super hard/durable. They're both comparatively hard paints (really "coatings") though. Both variants are often used to paint boats that were originally gelcoated.

I had/have been thinking about getting a fixed high top for my SMB (was drooling over the one you had for sale but I have an RB), and Fiberine would have been one of the top contenders. But I don't like it when someone seems to weasel out of a problem by using the "letter" of the law vs. the spirit of it. Sad.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #19

Great ideas Herb and Viva, just visited a Line X shop and they quoted around $2000.00 to do the top.

Viva, there has not be one good thing about my experience with Fiberine. They did help with the repair of the leaks with the windows and top which was within my 90 days they said I have. I still have yet to see the 90 warranty written anywhere on their website or my paperwork. It may be there but I can't find it.

Even one of the windows that's in the shell is a different color than the others. Their response was they don't have control over parts they buy from others??? The caulking job was sloppy around the outside. The installation was a nightmare at their facility. The screws they used on the inside separated the shell and van top leaving gaps all over the place. I'll post all the photos I have here shortly.

Just got of the phone with TechAmerica a few minutes ago just to clarify that they supply two types of GelCoat to Fiberine. As mentioned above one with the UV stabilizer in it and one without. She again stated the non stabilized gelcoat will yellow outside. I can only assume they poured my top with the wrong barrel.

As you mentioned Viva there is the letter and the spirit. We make mistakes at our company and we do everything we can to take care of it. I don't want anything free, just what I paid for.

They stated in the beginning I did not need to paint it as they made a quality white GelCoat.

I think I have enough written correspondence to take it farther legally.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #20

Quick series of photos. First one taken shortly after installing the top. Second about 3 months ago and around the time I contacted Fiberine and the last one took with my iPhone sometime last week or so.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)