Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Van Specialties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
... And no sales tax in Oregon!!
Not sure that matters, unless you're registering it on OR. I know Calif, and most states as far as I know, will charge you the sales tax when you register the vehicle in your home state.

Herb
I bought the base van in California. I had to pay Washington sales tax on that purchase when I registered and titled the van. Then I took the van to Van Specialties in Oregon to do the conversion. I did not pay sales tax on that work, since it didn't affect the title/registration. No different than buying tires in Oregon or anything else.

There was a case years ago, where a furniture dealer right over the state line was selling furniture to Washington residents and actually delivering the furniture to their houses in Washington. They were also offering finanacing, through a finance company based in Washington. The State of Washington discovered the sales and financing arrangements through a tax audit of the finance company, and went back to the furniture dealer and demanded they pay the sales tax on all those purchases, since the furniture was delivered into Washington.

That's the only case I've heard of, other than vehicles, where sales tax was collected for an out of state purchase.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #12

There is not much detail on the Van Specialties site. Maybe I am spoiled with the huge amount of info and pics on the SMB site.
FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl
There is not much detail on the Van Specialties site. Maybe I am spoiled with the huge amount of info and pics on the SMB site.
No there isn't. They are sort of old school - phone and personal visits work best.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #14

Van Specialties does not really perform 'cookie cutter' conversions -- each one is customized to their customers needs. My wife and I had our complete build out done by VS and we do not regret the decision. Their work is excellent, we were able to have some special custom work done exactly to our specs, and generally benefited from their overall expertise and patience. We needed a few things tweaked after all the work was done and they were super helpful. Definitely recommended.

Cheers,
DJM
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #15

How's the resale on a VS build versus a sportsmobile build?
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids
How's the resale on a VS build versus a sportsmobile build?
Some folks think the RIVA sticker on an RV is important for resale and/or trade in value. Not sure if VS is, but Sportsmobile is.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #17

I seem to recall someone here on the forums that found an RVIA sticker on a van at a junkyard and appropriated it for his van to give some legitimacy :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #18

i realize selling any van conversion can be a unique experience...
That said i don't think any well maintained rig converted by VS will have any issues selling. Just sayin'... Cari & I get peeps asking us on a monthly basis to put them on a contact list if we decide to sell ours.

A P.S. note. . . after rereading the thread.

Yes i agree that VS is old school...and i like that. Of course we are only a two hour drive away from them so to stop in and chat with the crew is no biggie. Cari & i worked through things with Rob at their shop and then a couple follow up emails. One thing i am comfortable with is believing that VS crew could pull off anything (legally doable) in a van conversion.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #19

re: old school

I am pretty sure Van Specialties builds these - http://www.outsidevan.com/

Don't take this as gospel but in following the van specialties site they have updated many of their interior options which are interestingly similar to the way outside van is outfitting their rigs.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu
re: old school

I am pretty sure Van Specialties builds these - http://www.outsidevan.com/

Don't take this as gospel but in following the van specialties site they have updated many of their interior options which are interestingly similar to the way outside van is outfitting their rigs.
Outside Vans is another up-fitter in Troutdale. V/S is in Tualatin. Opposite sides of Portland. Apparently they have some sort of relationship. I was told by a neighboring business owner that O/S vans uses V/S as a vendor. But they definitely have separate shops for doing the builds. Also, O/S only does high-body vans.... I.e. mostly Sprinter but also the Nissan N/V and soon the Transit.