Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #11

Garage
That’s the way to insulate.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:20 AM   #12

Garage
-After this I began the tedious process of laying out and cutting my wood floor substrate. I used ½” high quality baltic birch scribed everything to the edges as well as back beveled to make sure it fit tight and flat. I used mending plants to join each piece together as well as 1/4x20 stainless steel bolts to go to the Rivnuts. After my wood was cut and holes were drilled I went back layer by layer and glued each section down till I got back up to my wood layer.

-After getting the wood all bolted down and mended together I mixed up some bondo to fill all the holes and smooth out a few transitions. I also took some gap filler and filled in any small gaps that I had around the edges.

-After that was installed it was time to start the floor install. Starting by rough cutting the shape and then gluing down starting with the front of the wood and working our ways backwards using a heat gun to bend it at the edges.

-After letting the glue dry for the night on the back half I came back the next day to do the front. Using the heat gun again to get it contoured around the bumps and curves. I added in extra .25 insulation for the transition between the plywood and front. I also got to finally get those seats back installed!

-After installing we came back and did some trimming of edges, scribing all trim pieces to new build ups, and finally getting things back together. Only thing left to do it add some metal angle edging at the back and side doors and the floor will be done!

-Although it would have been better to plan ahead and not install the seat covers till we had our seat heaters I was too excited to see how they fit, and jumped the gun. So once we received our package I went ahead and took apart the seats and then reinstalled with the heated seats. I put the switch location nice and tidy on the side of the seat.

And now we are officially all up to speed on the current state of the build.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:23 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
At this pace, Think you're trending well ahead of your timeline...funds withstanding.
We will see! Really this has been a dump of information all at once since we actually got the van back in August. Now that we got the back log out of the way it should be following a more normal looking pace.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
That’s the way to insulate.
That was the goal! Still unsure if we should go through the hassle of adding reflectix to our wall insulation, but I guess I still have some time to do some more reading before I'm there.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #15

Garage
Great work. That coin edge flooring looks like it wasn't too bad to work with.

Adding a radiant barrier to the walls/ceiling makes sense. Here is something I read about Reflectix and foil:

"After researching thermodynamics and consulting my scientist buddy, we decided to apply a layer of aluminum foil --- Not your kitchen variety, but it'd still work... --- I'll be getting mine from AtticFoil. It's thick, durable, etc."

"DON'T use Reflectix without an air gap... or at all. Aluminium foil is cheaper per sqft... and the bubble wrap in the center does nothing but add slight rigidity. Don't adhere this to the steel. The plastic of the bubble wrap will 100% degrade over time in the heat. The walls can get to 170°F in the direct desert sun which will not bode well for your expensive bubble wrap."

You would want a conductivity barrier inside the aluminum.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #16

Looking good. I'm impressed that you got the coin flooring to lay so well in the cab area. I know from experience that was a chore.

Be very careful with this flooring as you continue your build. I found out the hard way that if you run, say, a piece of plywood in to the back of the van, the weight of it alone will slice that flooring. I did a couple of buildouts with coin flooring and scarred up the coin flooring before the build was done. I should've put down a barrier.

I would also highly recommend some aluminum L corner molding for your slider door/step area.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Maybe too late to consider at this point, but the underfloor storage box was one of my most used options on my SMB.

NorthLeftCoast offers an aftermarket one.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-x32-6108.html

Herb
Old 11-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Great work. That coin edge flooring looks like it wasn't too bad to work with.

Adding a radiant barrier to the walls/ceiling makes sense. Here is something I read about Reflectix and foil:

"After researching thermodynamics and consulting my scientist buddy, we decided to apply a layer of aluminum foil --- Not your kitchen variety, but it'd still work... --- I'll be getting mine from AtticFoil. It's thick, durable, etc."

"DON'T use Reflectix without an air gap... or at all. Aluminium foil is cheaper per sqft... and the bubble wrap in the center does nothing but add slight rigidity. Don't adhere this to the steel. The plastic of the bubble wrap will 100% degrade over time in the heat. The walls can get to 170°F in the direct desert sun which will not bode well for your expensive bubble wrap."

You would want a conductivity barrier inside the aluminum.
Yeah not too bad, just took it slow with the heat gun and a sharp razor blade. Thanks for passing on the information about refllectix!
Old 11-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Looking good. I'm impressed that you got the coin flooring to lay so well in the cab area. I know from experience that was a chore.

Be very careful with this flooring as you continue your build. I found out the hard way that if you run, say, a piece of plywood in to the back of the van, the weight of it alone will slice that flooring. I did a couple of buildouts with coin flooring and scarred up the coin flooring before the build was done. I should've put down a barrier.

I would also highly recommend some aluminum L corner molding for your slider door/step area.
Thanks for the compliments! I have seen some unfortunate situations with this flooring, so if need be I’ll line it with cardboard while pulling things in and out. I’m planning on adding some L corner, just haven’t had a chance to grab it yet.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Maybe too late to consider at this point, but the underfloor storage box was one of my most used options on my SMB.

NorthLeftCoast offers an aftermarket one.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-x32-6108.html

Herb
Ahh I contemplated this quite a bit, but really wanted to have rear drawers out the back door. Having those would basically negate the storage box since I wouldn’t be able to get to it, so I decided against it.

Tags
build, build thread, homemade, homemadesmb