Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #201

Great build, really nice attention to detail! Looking forward to continue watching you build it out. Keep it up!

CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:54 AM   #202

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGgonzo12 View Post
Great build, really nice attention to detail! Looking forward to continue watching you build it out. Keep it up!
Thanks! It's come a long way from the empty cargo van, with still more additions to come.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #203

Garage
Slider Update:
-After a few weeks I finally got the sliders back from powder coat and was able to get them installed! The installation was relatively smooth, but as I previously mentioned we had to relocate the parking brake (still need to readjust this) and we had some struggles getting the forwardmost mounts on due to the frame being boxed. The texture powder coating turned out great and is very similar to the powder coating on my front bumper. For those that were curious about how strong they would be, I can confidently say they are very stout! They for sure added strength to the frame and we were surprised to see that any flex we could get in them was actually coming from the frame rails flexing and not the sliders themselves. Super happy with how they turned out and happy to have a slightly lower step into the van!

Slider back from powder

Getting set up for install

One side on

Round two

Back in the garage install all done

This might be my new favorite picture of the van!

Now Enough garage pictures it's time to get this thing out on a trip!
Old 12-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #204

Garage

Drool-worthy. Couldn't find an emoji. Definitely need some dirt though.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #205

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post

Drool-worthy. Couldn't find an emoji. Definitely need some dirt though.
Thank you, I couldn't agree more!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:45 PM   #206

by any chance do you have a materials list (lengths mostly) for the sliders? I'd like to price it out and maybe take on a project like this myself.
WillTheThri11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:09 AM   #207

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
by any chance do you have a materials list (lengths mostly) for the sliders? I'd like to price it out and maybe take on a project like this myself.
I don't have a totaled material list, as I left it up to my fabricator to place the order for the materials needed. Each slider is just over 8' long, and the connection pieces from frame to slider are roughly 13"x 4 so it's a fair amount of material. All said and done these sliders weren't cheap, but I am super happy with them!
Old 01-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
I don't have a totaled material list, as I left it up to my fabricator to place the order for the materials needed. Each slider is just over 8' long, and the connection pieces from frame to slider are roughly 13"x 4 so it's a fair amount of material. All said and done these sliders weren't cheap, but I am super happy with them!
Thanks! You've got an awesome build going on and I'm glad I stumbled across your threads. Do you mind my asking about how much you paid? I have a quote for I think $1200 from a fabricator and was wondering if I should do it myself or just pay for them.

I was also wondering tubing sizes and thicknesses...you used 4" square tubes??
Old 01-23-2023, 12:33 PM   #209

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
Thanks! You've got an awesome build going on and I'm glad I stumbled across your threads. Do you mind my asking about how much you paid? I have a quote for I think $1200 from a fabricator and was wondering if I should do it myself or just pay for them.

I was also wondering tubing sizes and thicknesses...you used 4" square tubes??
The sliders are made of a 2"x3" .188 walled rectangular tubing for the main slider, a 1.75" DOM .120 wall for the outer step bar. the top tread piece is made of a plate material, but unsure of thickness and the frame to slider connections are 1.5" .25 wall square tubes. When I priced out rough material cost I was at about $1,500. After labor and powder coating it ended up being $3,000 for the full build with powder coating and installation. If someone can do them for $1,200 I would for sure have them make them! They must have a great connection for materials to be able to do them for that price!
Old 01-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
The sliders are made of a 2"x3" .188 walled rectangular tubing for the main slider, a 1.75" DOM .120 wall for the outer step bar. the top tread piece is made of a plate material, but unsure of thickness and the frame to slider connections are 1.5" .25 wall square tubes. When I priced out rough material cost I was at about $1,500. After labor and powder coating it ended up being $3,000 for the full build with powder coating and installation. If someone can do them for $1,200 I would for sure have them make them! They must have a great connection for materials to be able to do them for that price!

Good to know, thanks! I got the quote from a local shop that mostly builds sliders for Toyotas, not sure if they are using all the same materials, they do all DOM which is probably more expensive, but I'm not sure of the thickness...definitely something to compare to though.

Tags
build, build thread, homemade, homemadesmb