Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
Ahh I contemplated this quite a bit, but really wanted to have rear drawers out the back door. Having those would basically negate the storage box since I wouldn’t be able to get to it, so I decided against it.
Understand. Too bad GooseGear doesn't make drawers for the E-series. Expensive stuff, but very well made. I met the owner a few months back, and he's a great guy.
https://www.goose-gear.com/

Herb

Old 11-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Understand. Too bad GooseGear doesn't make drawers for the E-series. Expensive stuff, but very well made. I met the owner a few months back, and he's a great guy.
https://www.goose-gear.com/

Herb
Yeah Goosegear makes great stuff! We considered them when building out our Tacoma, but decided to build our own instead. Having the 4' deep drawers on our truck is what led me to wanting drawers again in the Van. My plan is to build the drawers out of Baltic birch using rabbeted/dado joints and laminate the drawer faces to match the rest of the cabinets. I think I might Raptor line the inside of the drawers though to make sure they are sturdy.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #23

How much POR15 did you need to get this kind of coverage? I'm planning to coat the floor of my Dodge. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
How much POR15 did you need to get this kind of coverage? I'm planning to coat the floor of my Dodge. Thanks!
I've done two different extended body E-Series, used POR-15's silver paint because it has the highest solids content. Figuring an average of 72 ft/sq a single quart should do two coats without a problem.

You do want to carefully read and follow POR-15's instructions AND use their cleaning and metal prep products too.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
We used almost an entire quart to get the two coats. Like JWA said just make sure you follow all the directions and prep exactly how it says.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #26

Garage
Not a ton of work done, but making more progress

- After doing getting the wheels painted black we took Vandit out for a drive and finally got to see it out of the garage for a bit which was nice!

-The next thing on the list to finishing the floor was getting the threshold trimmed out. So I picked up some aluminum angle and went to work. This turned into a much more lengthy process than hoped since I had some mishaps when painting it, causing me to have to repaint it approximately four times with one full re-sand to bare metal. Now that it is done I am happy with how it came out. The floor is officially done!

Roughed out

Painted

Final

-Next we ordered some replacement mirrors as we were never really a fan of the towing mirrors, plus they were super scratched up. They just seem to be much more fitting to the van.

-We wanted to have some removable mats for the front, but had to get a little creative to make them work, but I think we found a solution. Since the Husky liner mats are intended to be used with carpet they have nibs on the back to help secure them in the carpet. Since we decided to do the continuous rubber flooring I had to take all those off with a Dremel. After getting all those off I installed some marine grade black snaps to help secure the mats, and so far so good! If those don't end up holding too well I will switch them out for marine grade Twist Lock Fasteners.

Backside of Husky Liner before

After the start of Dremeling

Snaps

Had to use a heatgun some to remold the mats to the new floor

Final Product
Old 12-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #27

Garage
Nice, well done.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I very, VERY much like your method for better securing the Husky Liner's in place. I have those myself and have never had an issue with their slipping and sliding around on the OEM flooring if they were fixed in place it would make for much safer entry and exits!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Nice, well done.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I very, VERY much like your method for better securing the Husky Liner's in place. I have those myself and have never had an issue with their slipping and sliding around on the OEM flooring if they were fixed in place it would make for much safer entry and exits!
Thank You! They feel very sturdy now and I only needed to add two snaps, but we will see how they hold up overtime. So far so good!
Old 01-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #30

Did you cut off the top ledge of the plastic side door seal plate and then over wrap it with the Alum L edge? If so, how? Jig saw? Side grinder? Dremel?
SCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, build thread, homemade, homemadesmb