Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Re: Very Unique Build "ORION"

You sir are ambitious. Wow!

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Cool, that's a big project you have taken on.
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

That is absolutely one of the most unique and cool looking vehicles I've ever seen!

Being in the auto/truck biz I'm highly curious about the curved glass in the back---Plexiglas or Lexan?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
That is absolutely one of the most unique and cool looking vehicles I've ever seen!

Being in the auto/truck biz I'm highly curious about the curved glass in the back---Plexiglas or Lexan?
I have been building cars since I was a kid and never having seen one before was a good enough reason for me to by it. I owned a split window VW Bus as a teen ager and loved it but refused to ever be that underpowered ever again.
I am not very knowledgeable about plastics so I do not know the material used for the rear windows? They are an odd double wall construction with air space. I am not sure if this was for ease of construction or insulation? They have clouded and I sincerely hope I can polish them or tint them in some way. The thought of ever having to replace them scares me.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #15

UPDATE!!! Awesome project!!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #16
JWA

My guess on your curved rear windows is they're an acrylic material, aka Plexi-Glas most likely given the era of the body. The bad news there is they can't easily be polished back to an ultra clear appearance. It might be best to contact a specialized plastic fabricator in your area and get their input.

I'm looking forward to your progress for this whole project, drive train, interior and exterior too.

Had the crew in the movie The Fantastic Voyage worked the streets they'd have driven one of these!

Insulation wise I'd seriously look to use foam panels, up to 2" thick if possible everywhere they can be easily fit into place. The floor looks to be an excellent place to begin. Side walls might require a bit more creative cutting and shaping but the end result of excellent thermal transfer resistance would be well worth the effort.

Any dimensions for the interior as it is now, empty?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
My guess on your curved rear windows is they're an acrylic material, aka Plexi-Glas most likely given the era of the body. The bad news there is they can't easily be polished back to an ultra clear appearance. It might be best to contact a specialized plastic fabricator in your area and get their input.
There is a very good plastic fabricator in our town who will probably be recruited to make the holding tanks. Their are some interesting shapes and custom tanks will give much better capacity. I will have him look at the rear windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm looking forward to your progress for this whole project, drive train, interior and exterior too.

Had the crew in the movie The Fantastic Voyage worked the streets they'd have driven one of these!

Insulation wise I'd seriously look to use foam panels, up to 2" thick if possible everywhere they can be easily fit into place. The floor looks to be an excellent place to begin. Side walls might require a bit more creative cutting and shaping but the end result of excellent thermal transfer resistance would be well worth the effort.
2" Rigide foam will defiantly be going in the floor with aerosol foam to fill any gaps. I am very interested in sprayable products to avoid any voids. I may have to shape ridged foam and then use spray on the gaps. I am waiting to see where I will be running the chases before doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Any dimensions for the interior as it is now, empty?
I have done a sketch up model of the interior to help figure out the details. I will export some images when I get a chance
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
JWA

I too was thinking of chases for wiring etc----good to plan them in before the build begins. I'd add a few for expansion later on---always a good idea.

The sprayable foam like used in home building is another good idea and can be found in DIY kits, two component with applicator gear included. Low expansion would be the best idea since it would allow you to build the final thickness to fit your design.

Great news on a local plastic fabricator----he'll no doubt be a big help on your windows.

I did a bit of searching for that brand RV, most images so far are of the exterior though. Would be interesting to see how the interiors were outfitted---no doubt very, very period though---retro now, hip and cool back then!

Will be watching this progress!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Thought I would add some pics of the chassis build. My fabricators are amazing. Not very punctual but VERY good work. Very creative young guys that build mostly CRAZY 4x4.
This shows the custom body mounts there are six of these to attach the factory rails to the new frame in the rear.

This shows the linkage for the rear suspension the hole in the crossmember if for the exhaust. We are running a big cat back pipe & muffler.

This shows the rear frame extension. The original frame ended before the end of the body and the rear bumper was mounted to the fiberglass. As I want to be able to tow it was extended for hitch and bumper. It needed to drop down below the rear well it is 1/4" wall tube to add the strength. We will add a compression zone between the bumper and frame.
Attached Thumbnails
OrionFrame1.jpg   OrionFrame3.jpg   OrionFrame4.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I did a bit of searching for that brand RV, most images so far are of the exterior though. Would be interesting to see how the interiors were outfitted---no doubt very, very period though---retro now, hip and cool back then!

Will be watching this progress!
Interior shots are very hard to find when I bought this five years ago I only found one exterior photo on the net. There are quite a few more now. I have found some of the original brochures I only wish I could read German.

Attached Thumbnails
inside2.jpg   inside1.jpg   inside3.jpg