Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Going to shop for flooring materials next and would like to hear anyone 's favorite flooring or do they wish they had done something different? Thanks for input!

I'm out in all weather, will have waders hanging over a bin... No pets.
1 mat type such as loncoin
2 plywood- if you like this then how many anchors should I plan on?
3 Carpet
4 other

Building a wood bed frame with storage below, deciding if I need corner anchors to keep that in place (which may point towards plywood flooring- hmmmm may have answered my own question!)

I used this for flooring...comes in a handful of colors........

Decko Dot Black Closeout

It's working out fine.....although I've found two downsides...

It's a little tough on the knees when crawling around in shorts, and I have a few places where the dots have been scaped off from heavy things sliding...still looks very good though.

Annie: Since you have a window van, you can easily fasten your floor to the van floor with a few of the holes from where the seats bolted in. For the rest of the seat holes, I bought a box of set screws and screwed them in the unused holes after applying RTV to the threads to help seal them.

I used 1/2" baltic birch ply for the floor and contact cement to glue the decko dot down....with furring strips to keep the floor slightly above the ribs in the van floor.

real baltic birch is available in 5x5' sheets (and 4x8 in some thicknesses); using 5X5' sheets ends up with less seams than 4X8.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I used this for flooring...comes in a handful of colors........

Decko Dot Black Closeout

It's working out fine.....although I've found two downsides...

It's a little tough on the knees when crawling around in shorts, and I have a few places where the dots have been scaped off from heavy things sliding...still looks very good though.

Annie: Since you have a window van, you can easily fasten your floor to the van floor with a few of the holes from where the seats bolted in. For the rest of the seat holes, I bought a box of set screws and screwed them in the unused holes after applying RTV to the threads to help seal them.

I used 1/2" baltic birch ply for the floor and contact cement to glue the decko dot down....with furring strips to keep the floor slightly above the ribs in the van floor.

real baltic birch is available in 5x5' sheets (and 4x8 in some thicknesses); using 5X5' sheets ends up with less seams than 4X8.
Thanks Boywonder, you know I love specifics. I was thinking I would leave the seat brackets in but will reconsider that.

Planning to lay some foam or dampening/insulation under plywood. It has the gray felt product under carpet now- will add to that or replace it. (Cant wait to get the carpet out tho. Its not bad just has ground in dirt).

I noticed the van floor lets off a LOT of heat after driving and it takes a while to cool off the interior if I close it up. My son commented on lack of heat shield over muffler... does that sound right? There are heat shields over the cats.

As far as bruising your knees crawling around- i can relate to that. I'm 5'4 and can reach about nothing in the van since it is so high. With my gear loaded I noticed right away I was climbing over stuff constantly so need to revise the layout slighty (of course the build out will help). Doing a couple of test runs helped.