Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Tightened the very loose nuts on the window. It helped some but water drops still got through. Did the silicone caulk as outlined by JWA. Very easy to do and it came out looking great.
That's great news Larrie----glad my improvised method worked for you.

Its professionally gratifying for me to pass along a small trick or technique that works for others. After all its not like you'd bring your van to me or I travel to see it---this is a much more "fuel efficient" way.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #32

I just bought a van from Telluride CO and discovered today that all but 2 of my rear windows in my 15 passenger van leak.I'll start with nuts and go from there.

JWA, Is this the stuff your referring to for replacement of the butyl?

https://www.amazon.com/08612-Window-.../dp/B000CQ4AOO
jchosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #33

Be very careful tightening those nuts. On my 40 side door, a couple of the nuts had backed off and I thought I would just tighten them up real quick. A shattered window quickly happened. Fortunately eBay got me a new window in time to put it in before our camping trip a few days later. With new butyl tape and some gentle tightening I got it back in. Used some of the butyl tape around the nuts to try and keep them from backing out again.

My buddies E350 started leaking after he cut the roof open for a high roof. Apparently all the flexing broke loose the seal. He removed and reinstalled all the windows and replaced the butyl tape to get it sealed back up. It was a job for sure, but he managed to not break any glass.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #34

Thanks for the tip. My Colorado Camper Van top gets installed in June. I wonder if I hold off on pulling the windows until then.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchosler View Post
Thanks for the tip. My Colorado Camper Van top gets installed in June. I wonder if I hold off on pulling the windows until then.
In my buddies case, the windows came out a few years ago for a color change, and I don't think they used butyl rubber to put them in again. The sealant got hard and popped loose. Fresh butyl rubber is very pliable. I don't think you would have a problem to do it now.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #36

Just realized that I never put up a photo of the final result. JWA's instructions on caulking the window were right on. The only thing I did different was to have a four inch wide band of tape on the window as a safety precaution. Am pleased with the results.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #37
JWA

Quote:

JWA, Is this the stuff your referring to for replacement of the butyl?
Yessir---that's THE very stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
Be very careful tightening those nuts. On my 40 side door, a couple of the nuts had backed off and I thought I would just tighten them up real quick. A shattered window quickly happened.
EVERY time I suggest checking those nuts I advise repeatedly to BE CAREFUL---use nothing more than a nut driver and proceed in a circle tightening just enough where you feel a bit of resistance.

Too many try tightening each nut all at once which puts the glass on a bind. Because its tempered glass it does exactly as designed which is shatter in small bits---this is a safety matter so we don't have large dagger-shaped glass bits flying around the interior.

Laminated glass for body side glass was used from '91 backwards but it's more expensive to manufacture. Tempered is a single piece cut and shaped to fit the purpose and heat processed to create the tempering.

BE CAREFUL attempting this---its fraught with costly pitfalls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Just realized that I never put up a photo of the final result. JWA's instructions on caulking the window were right on. The only thing I did different was to have a four inch wide band of tape on the window as a safety precaution. Am pleased with the results.

Good---I'm glad that idea worked for you Larrie!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #38

I am embarrassed to say that I did end up shattering one of the back door windows. Had an ebay one on order literally in 2 minutes while cussing under my breath.

So I did tighten all windows and still all suspect windows leak. When I get my new glass in I will start the process in pulling the windows off for new gaskets. More to come...
Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #39
JWA

Quote:
When I get my new glass in I will start the process in pulling the windows off for new gaskets. More to come...
If you'll be renewing the butyl material post back and wait for a reply beforehand---I can maybe save you some time, money and minor embarrassment too.

Of course you could always PM me too............
Old 04-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If you'll be renewing the butyl material post back and wait for a reply beforehand---I can maybe save you some time, money and minor embarrassment too.

Of course you could always PM me too............
Thank you JWA!!
I did by the new butyl material the other day and plan on replacing that on all the windows starting as early as today i think.