Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #21

Re: SMB top- I would urge you to at least see a CCV top before you commit. Where are you located?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
How about we just say that we like to pay cash and not have too much financing going on. That is actually a big goal of mine.
I can live with that! Little debt and minimize outgoing expenditures. Good luck with your choice for sure. I have to say that if I used one of these just for recreation and I didn't think gas would go back over $4 in the next several years, a V10 might be in the choice set.
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #23

As far as noses go, I prefer the 2008+......although that's a personal preference....

Also, the 2008 has the new front end but older style dash and seats, 2009+ have the updated dash and seats.

In my case a 4WD drive van came up in a color that I desired, and I also wanted the newer style front end.....the last year of that color was 2008, so 2008 was my only choice to get both the color and updated nose.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Re: SMB top- I would urge you to at least see a CCV top before you commit. Where are you located?

Southern California. A little south of the halfway point between SMB and Agile Off-Road.

I've got an industrial sewing machine and access to a lot of fabrication and machining tools. I have pondered building my own pop top. That is not off the table yet, but unlikely as I have kids and a full time job!!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #25

I much prefer 09+ for the dash and door panels etc. I don't know why but I just much prefer the dash setup, and the 08+ front end.
A huge part of my reasoning for getting a v10 was the 5r110. Yes the top 3 (I believe?) gears are about the same. So as for acceleration, the main improvement is at lower speeds, less trans slipping etc. But it shifts SO much better and stronger, and tow/haul mode is great. I can put my van in tow haul and it will decelerate down very steep hills without ever touching the brakes. You'll feel much more confident down long steep passes. It's a lot more than just locking out overdrive on the 4r75. It will lock the torque converter in low gears and actually compression brake like a manual trans.

And of course a custom tune from someone like 5 star tuning will remap both standard drive mode and tow/haul mode.

Like you though, had cash in hand and searched daily for months. It's just hard to get a late mode one that's clean with lower miles if you're at all picky.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
I much prefer 09+ for the dash and door panels etc. I don't know why but I just much prefer the dash setup, and the 08+ front end.
One interesting thing...the 09+ van updated door panels are only in the cab....the stuff in the back is the same as the old style....
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Southern California. A little south of the halfway point between SMB and Agile Off-Road.
...so where exactly would that be? 1der is in San Francisco with a CCV top and I'm in Orange County with a manual SMB top if you would like to check out either one....I think 1der is headed down to So Cal next week for a very short time as well.

The CCV tops have a lot to offer for similar $$.......
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #28

Here's what looks like a great starter van. V10, moderate miles (160k), looks clean, and under $6k.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #29

What Engine for Base?? 5.4l, 6.8l, or 6.0l

I am very happy with my V10
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...so where exactly would that be? 1der is in San Francisco with a CCV top and I'm in Orange County with a manual SMB top if you would like to check out either one....I think 1der is headed down to So Cal next week for a very short time as well.

The CCV tops have a lot to offer for similar $$.......
I'm up in Palmdale. Pretty easy to get just about any place in socal from here.

Had some stuff to deal with so I have been away from the computer.

Good news is that I sold the wife on the idea of the van and roadtripping with the kids. She's in as long as I build a very comfy bed and we split nights between hotels and camping.

Next question is quickly becoming RB or EB??
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote