Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
What am I missing? Is a van somehow different than a pickup?

I'd like to learn more about the tow-haul programming. This 6.0 PSD performs better at higher RPM's; the heavy weight of the van suggests that that programming would improve driving performance.
The transmission filter is normally just to the left of the pan. However maybe it's moved for 4x4?

For tuning diesel vans, DP tuner is probably the most knowledgeable. Just beware that adding more power should be preceded by some durability upgrades first.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The question to ask yourself is.......would you go to Denver, pick it up and haul it back for $4000?.........that's the minimal difference between a shiny new one and a used one...in all fairness it's used so maybe not $4K.....
It's a worthy question for sure. I have considered building my own from a hit top shell, just not sure about the fit etc. I would probably need a spare van roof to do the work on before actually cutting the van roof. Seems way too ambitious for someone with limited time.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The transmission filter is normally just to the left of the pan. However maybe it's moved for 4x4?

For tuning diesel vans, DP tuner is probably the most knowledgeable. Just beware that adding more power should be preceded by some durability upgrades first.
Yeah, wondering if the filter has been relocated because the conventional place lacks space - everything I've researched says it should be in front of the front axle near the radiator, but that's not where my tranny lines run. I'm stumped. Anyone know?

Regarding tuning: I'm not seeking to add power to the engine (this dang 6.leaker has enough problems already), just change shifting points to keep the rpm' up more. Can that be accomplished with a DP?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Yeah, wondering if the filter has been relocated because the conventional place lacks space - everything I've researched says it should be in front of the front axle near the radiator, but that's not where my tranny lines run. I'm stumped. Anyone know?

Regarding tuning: I'm not seeking to add power to the engine (this dang 6.leaker has enough problems already), just change shifting points to keep the rpm' up more. Can that be accomplished with a DP?

If you can get the OD On/Off button reprogrammed to tow/haul it will wind the gears more in that mode and also provide drivetrain braking. I don't want to say engine or Torque converter braking because I am not exactly sure.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
If you can get the OD On/Off button reprogrammed to tow/haul it will wind the gears more in that mode and also provide drivetrain braking. I don't want to say engine or Torque converter braking because I am not exactly sure.
That's what I'm talking about! Can any mechanic do this, or do I have to go to a dealership?
Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #46

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about! Can any mechanic do this, or do I have to go to a dealership?
You got me stumped there.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #47

Any opinions on an 05 EB V-10 with 115k?? Maybe too much wear and tear to start out with?

More miles than I would like, but it's not easy to find these suckers! It could also be had for a lot less money than a newer 5.4l with say 40k-50k on it. Money that could get me a Penthouse or half way home to an agile 4x4. Ugh.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #48
Site Team

115K on a V10 is nothing, provided it's been properly maintained.

Herb
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #49

I just posted this one on the for sale forum 2005 E-350 Econoline van 15 passenger

It's not mine, but it sounds like that's the one you are referring to. I have a 2005 RB V10 and I bought it with 106k miles a couple years ago. It now has 130k on it and I haven't had any issues with it other than a couple random things. If the van that I linked to is the one you are thinking about, you can sell the camburg kit and put those funds towards the 4x4 conversion. That's what I did.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I have considered building my own from a hi top shell, just not sure about the fit etc. I would probably need a spare van roof to do the work on before actually cutting the van roof. Seems way too ambitious for someone with limited time.

Trust me....doing a SMB penthouse transplant is plenty ambitious for someone with limited time....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote