Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #61

I texted him and he said he couldn't talk but to text him some questions, pretty simple stuff. He never texted back. Someone else here said this van has been up two times. I get the feeling he doesn't want to part with it. I am on to a 2007 EB 6.0l with 105k on it. If it's as clean as it looks, it will be a no brainer. Gonna check it tomorrow, it will be one hell of a base if it's clean and runs nice. It'll leave me some $$ for the Agile.

I am hesitant because i know what a headache diesels can be if they are bunky. 2007 is a good bet though. V-10 would have been great, but I still get the torqueshift and the torque. It's got some nice upgraded captains chairs, I am into that.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #62

I sold a Fiat 124 via craigslist a while back. I recommend being persistent, clear, friendly and patient with a seller. Without having gone through it, I could not have imagined the amount of random and crazy you end up having to waste time on. -- This isn't even counting all the scam spam.

Being clear on what your deal breakers are, and that if they don't apply to the vehicle in question you are otherwise prepared to execute, is perhaps the best way to look like a good prospect.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #63

I appreciate it. I wasn't very persistent about it. I may text him on my way down to look at the other van. If all goes well, I may have a 6.0l with 105k on it

It's agonizing, but I really looked at everything all across the country and even thought about having a van shipped. All of these vans are big commitments after I get the 4x4 and top put on.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #64

Well, I looked at an 07 6.0l EB wth 105k. It was a tad hammered cosmetically and smelled like mildew. That stuff would come out anyway when we redo the interior.

Biggest issue was I immediately saw oil on the pan, filter, and trans. The guy moved it for me and it dropped a dot of oil. Now I have a handing drip on my F250, so I wasn't overly concerned. It drove decent, front end was a little hammered, but it had nice power and sounded good overall. Trans shifted well. Drove it for 20 and did some takeoffs. Felt good. A lot louder than my F250 in the cab.

Deal breaker was that when I parked it and went to talk to the guys, it started dripping. When I left, there was a line of oil dots side to side on the passenger side. Price was good, but I don't want to have to replace main seal or whatever and then bulletproof it.

The hunt continues strong for a V-10
Old 08-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #65

Today was Van-Day. Started at 3:30 am in my truck and ended with me wheeling home at 4:30 pm. In between were trains, planes, and automobiles.

Maybe I was a bit too impulsive, but after scouring the internet for countless hours I stumbled across the first newer V-10 5 speed with rear AC. Window Cargo van with no interior and a bit stripped down, but only 54k miles and some powertrain warranty left. So I flew out to Phoenix and brought it back to LA.

It's used, so not perfect, but pretty dang clean and it never towed (hitch had no marks in it). Test drive blew me away. V-10 is smooth power or you can wind it out. Hopped right up to 80 on the freeway with a ton left. Crisp brakes, I was sold. Drove it 400 miles home doing 85 for most of the way through AZ getting about 13 per gallon. I love it.

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in to help me out. End of the day I got most of my wishlist for a base van. Extended body with rear AC, V-10 5 speed, tow haul, low miles, reasonably clean and not too abused. I really appreciate all the help thus far, but now it really begins. First thing is to patch the 150+ holes in the floor. Didn't occur to me until I was on the road, but the cargo rails were screwed into the floor with no sealant. No damage yet, but I gotta take care of that issue. Onward.

First fill up, many more to come.

It may be just another white van, but it's my white van.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #66

Looks like a great purchase!

I think you wil be glad you went with the V10. It is nice not to have to think about power because it has plenty. The Tow/Haul feature of the 5 speed works very well coming down steep grades and having front and rear AC is a big plus. Congrats!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #67

Nice! what year?

...looks like you got the tow mirrors, also nice....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #68

Good Score! I had one shipped which was slightly nerve wracking in spite of having it scoped by legit people. Sounds like you shopped well I would not say implusive since you did your research. Glad you found one you are happy with.
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #69

DOH!! It's a 2013. And yes, the tow mirrors sealed the deal. It has a tow controller in it too, but I don't think it ever towed.

I was ready to have one shipped from Indiana. It was exactly the same setup with the AC unit in a plywood box, cargo floor rails, and cage. 105k though

It really came down to thinking about putting another $25k into it for the 4x4 and top and then all the other stuff on top of that. I figured I should start with as good a base as I could. Took another look this morning. Engine is very very clean.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #70

Very nice! Congrats on the find. Is there a receiver under the bumper hitch? If it only has a bumper hitch it couldn't have towed much. They aren't that strong, and even if it has it's not a big deal with that drivetrain. If it had towed anything heavy or often there would most likely be signs like a worn receiver hitch, marks around it, etc.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote