Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #1

What I did on my Summer vacation

Well I purchased my 2001 E250 Quigily in Feb, 2009 with 67K Mi on the clock and loved it at it was

It started with the classic Shake in the steering when crossing over a bump so new tie rod ends and a steering damper and Alignment at almost 1000.00. Good to go for a month...
Well in June, 2 days before I was due to go on a 1200mi trip I decided to have the Tranny fluid and filter changed...Found out that second gear in the trans was sheadding friction material and that while everyhing else had been will maintained the tranny fluid had never been changed. Another 1600.00 for a rebuild and shift kit... Then I had a Flat and decieded to get 5 new tires (265/70R-16 E's). Also picked up some tow mirrors and added a hitch. Then I found a TV top for 500.00 that only needed a little work (the van it came off of had been rolled onto the drivers side roof) Now the wife is wondering where all my money is going.

Still looking at Alumness Bumpers and a Custom Airbag system front and rear...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

Re: What I did on my Summer vacation

If that first pic is your summer vacation, you're doing something wrong!

How about inside pics of the TV top?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #3

Right now its just bare. No panneling on the walls, carpet on the floor, bare roof.
I am planning on just insulation and carpeted sides. I do use the van for work mostly. I will be adding tiedown track in the floor (I haul two Dualsport motorcycles inside) I also have a Wabasto heater AT2000ST to go in still. The first pic is in March just prior to spring melt but it snows off and on til May.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #4

So jealous of that deal you got on the top! It looks great. How was the install?

Also, where or whom did you purchase the mirrors through? And how was the install on those? I am looking into getting a set soon.

Thanks for the pics!
kxkid715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

I found the mirrors in the Classifieds here (thanks Ford_6l_E350) and the install was done the easy way by inlarging the holes and then drilling for the third (from the top) hole and cutting off the post for the second mount. the second mount has a conflict with a reinforcing bracket built into the early door. I needed the Tow mirrors as I do tow once in a while:

The top was only a good deal due to the needed repairs (dammaged section was 1'x4') but was worth it due to the type of mount. If you look at the base you will not see it. It has a flange that is about 5"wide on the inside all the way around. I cut and then ground off the paint on the body and bonded it using panel bonding glue (the same way the Factory bonds panels now) and then Bolted it in 10 spots to hold till it set. the top is now as close to welded as you can get. Panel bonding is like JB weld or other epoxy's once done you can not even pull them apart. You have to grind off the paint and the bond but the adhessive seals the meatal so rust is not a issue. I an still going to seal up the seam for looks. I have to go pick up my Snow tires this week so don't know when I'm going to get to that. Still looking for a set of Factory alloys...