Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

What is the best way to sell a Homemade SMB?

Hey guys,

I have built what I think is a very nice E350 homemade SMB and am thinking about selling it.

Anybody have any recommendations on how to best sell it?
Ebay?
Facebook Marketplace?
Obviously, I want to get the best price possible.

Here is a tour: https://youtu.be/t-dHfm8_HEs

I have made a number of additions since this video (solar, updated sofa, etc). An update video coming soon.

Also here is a list of what is included:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Also I am not quite sure how to price the van.
How much do you think a van like this would be worth?

Thank you guys for all your feedback.

ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #2

Location location location

Different selling/buying scene in every state.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

Homemade vans are a tough sell, but your van build looks very clean so I think that will appeal to a lot of people. It would be a great candidate for a 4x4 conversion, or a poptop/hightop install.

In addition to the places you have already mentioned I would list it also on craigslist, on this website, and expedition portal.

Can't really help you out on pricing, best of luck with the sale.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

Please take this feedback as constructive, not nitpicky. I realize your post here is what we call a 'feeler', not a formal for sale ad, so this is meant to help with your actual for sale ad. I'm not sure where you are because when a 30 minute video is posted I skip through about 10 seconds of it and usually get all the info I need.. 30 minute van build videos are neat for some, I suppose, but there are about a billion out there now, essentially all doing the same thing, and life is too short. I think you said Florida so I'll assume that.

My advice:
1. List the van in the most popular van cities, they are all across the country from you. Denver, San Diego, Bay area, Portand, Seattle. I'd list it in Asheville NC and Atlanta too if you are in Florida. Of course I would list it local to you as well.
2. Come up with a clever marketing idea to deliver the van or make it worth someone's while to come get it. Yes, it will sell where you are, by sheer luck or patience, but your chances of selling in the SE U.S. are about 1 in 4 of selling in the popular #vanlife locations. People are jumping on planes on a whim lately.
3. Remember that your sweat equity should be viewed as a hobby. It's worth essentially nothing if one of the big criteria people want are not met. Those criteria would be a pop top/raised top of some sort and 4wd. These are the two things people can't/won't try at home.
4. Post the basics of the van, not getting too specific, that separates it from an empty metal box and post some basic pics of all sides, one or two of the undercarriage and a few of the interior, not 3 pics, not 30 pics.
5. Link to your Youtube video of course but all that work is essentially for people who are really bored at home or about to write you a check and too far to drive over to your house.
6. List it on the Expedition Portal classifieds as well as the 'vans for sale' thread there in the van section. List it on the Transit Forum, Sprinter Source, here and any other hobby forums like this that have free classifieds.
7. Prepare to deal with scammers. They will find you. If it sounds too good to be true.....

Good luck sir!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm curious if you have a price in mind you'd want to receive? Perhaps that might give the more experienced buyers and sellers here an idea how reasonable (or not) you are.

Like 86Scotty I didn't watch the full video but a few images I did see while FF'ing looked quite well done and attractive.

Good luck with your sale---anything in mind to replace this one?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Thank you guys for all the great info!

I am getting the van ready for the sale and hopefully should have it ready in a couple weeks. I am looking to purchase an Airstream for the wife and I.

In terms of pricing the van...

I know that I have about $20,000 into the van in regards to hardware, gear and upgrades.

Those of you who have done a quality build know that the amount of hours of research, planning and building is probably at least that same amount in cost.

So I am thinking about $50-60K....but I may be dreaming that I will ever get that return back.

Thoughts?
ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #7

Please post the info here in the thread if you want feedback, rather than assuming we will watch a video or open a Google sheet. What year is the base van? Miles? Rust, etc.?

For reference, I bought a very nice 2011 70k mile true SMB with pop-top and full factory build for much less than your $50-60k target. Your build is very nice but I think your selling price will be much under that number. But, it’s #vanlife time and hopefully you’ll find someone who just wants a nice van with a nice build NOW and is willing to pay up rather than build their own.

If it was a sprinter or transit the calculation would be more skewed in your favor.

Good luck, and nice job on the build!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #8

And BTW: take everything 86Scotty says to heart. He has built and sold multiple vans and knows what he is talking about. I’ve also sold a few myself in the past two years.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #9

Home builds will always be tough since each build will be geared towards the builder's wants and desires. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere close to the investment costs into my van just on materials alone, forgetting my own labor.

Why are you selling?
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskelley View Post
Thank you guys for all the great info!

I am getting the van ready for the sale and hopefully should have it ready in a couple weeks. I am looking to purchase an Airstream for the wife and I.

In terms of pricing the van...

I know that I have about $20,000 into the van in regards to hardware, gear and upgrades.

Those of you who have done a quality build know that the amount of hours of research, planning and building is probably at least that same amount in cost.

So I am thinking about $50-60K....but I may be dreaming that I will ever get that return back.

Thoughts?
If you are thinking of listing it for 50-60K, I think you should look at the market to see what you can get with that type of money and compare it to yours.

Based on the market and what is available right now, 50-60K could get you a well equipped actual SMB with a pop top/high roof + 4X4, with aftermarket front bumpers/rear swings outs.

I think you would be doing well if you got half of what you were thinking of listing it for. Again I must emphasize this isn't a jab at your quality of your workmanship or the time you put into the build but what is available on the market and what people are willing to pay.

I would take what you put into the van in terms of equipment and gear, take off 30% of what that is in retail, add the KBB value for your van and 2-3K in sweat equality (I know its pennies on the dollar, and I'm only saying to add this because your build is quite clean, otherwise I say add 0$ for sweat equity). Location also dictates price, you would get more on the west coast, less in other areas.