Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #131

It's nice to hear your heater is working properly. I suspect that the prices will be going up very soon due to the new tariff's.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #132

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post

And lastly, a while back I met Jeremy from Weldtec Designs at a small show and he interviewed me about the van. The interview was recently released on Weldtec Design's YouTube Channel. I have to admit, it felt pretty cool to open YouTube and see a video about my little project van. I'm not the most polished interviewee so please be kind. As usual, afterwards I thought of way better ways to express myself. But there are some good video shots of the van in there. Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. You could have done me a favor and edited me more though.

I thought you did just fine. Good work, Great van!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #133

Thanks for the entertaining, well-written read. Your van turned out great and you clearly have crafted a well-designed, well thought-out camper.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #134

Awesome van, Tim! One of my favorite builds on the site. Well thought out and great execution. Glad to see that you're getting out and enjoying it now. Please keep us in the loop on further improvements.

ps- You did fine in the video. After seeing tons of pics of van interiors, it's nice to see some with actual people in the van. It's cool that Jeremy featured your van even though you're not a customer (yet). It's a testament to his passion and yours.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It's nice to hear your heater is working properly. I suspect that the prices will be going up very soon due to the new tariff's.
I suspect you're correct. It hasn't happened yet though. I bought this heater last November. Looking the other day, the price has come down $40 since then for the same heater/controller. Plus they are now available from a USA reseller. When I bought mine I waited 6 weeks for a slow boat from China to arrive.

Everything used to install the heater came with it, except I replaced the fuel line and all clamps with product sourced from my local hardware store. Physically, these heaters look identical to the Eberspacher D2 heaters, with the exception of the controller, at a fraction of the cost. Since I probably use a heater 6 times a year, my install won't be the one to prove reliability.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #136

When I have a few moments on my computer without anything to do, I come on the forum and look for inspiration. Last Friday the thread about reupholstering seats drew me in when Seat Heaters were mentioned. Lady Shadetree's car has seat heaters, why doesn't my van? While searching online for heaters, lumbar support quickly caught my eye. Lady Shadetree has lumbar...

It didn't seem fair I reasoned, and it all is relatively inexpensive. It took less than an hour to discover, dream, plan and buy Heaters and Lumbar Support. Uh Supporters? Lumbar Air Bags? Whatever you call it, I need Lumbar! And I think it will really make my factory 2012 seats comfortable. I've always wished the Lumbar was more pronounced on them.

The parts arrived at my office on Monday. Today I finished up work in San Diego early and thought I would get some work started on installing them this afternoon. Driving North to Riverside it got darker and darker, pouring rain at my house. Guess I won't do any work then. I did pull out the switches to see how big they are. The heater switch is bigger with it's 5 position dial. The Lumbar is pretty small.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5695.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	27363

I have been debating where to put these switches so they are handy but unobtrusive. Looking at the dash I can't see where I could place the passenger side switches. The drivers side would be easy, but I want both sides to balance out.

Next option considered was the face of the console, just below the cup holders. Pulling the console off and looking underneath, it was apparent there would be a lot of plastic cutting to wedge them in there. Then I'd need some molex connectors inline so the console could still be removed when necessary.

Eliminating those options led to considering a small plaque on the side of the seat bottom, between the seat and the door, with both switches in it. Drivers and passenger would each be able to reach their own seat controls. My seats are manual so there's no switches down there now. I don't suppose we would need to see the switches to control them and that would keep them out of the way. I think this is the winner.

My other debate is how to place lumbar and heater on the same seat? Both are supposed to reside in the same space on the seat back as I bought the over-the-foam lumbar without thinking about this. The seat bottom is easy as it only gets the heater.

But the seat back is where I have to decide what to do;

A) Lumbar only at small of back, and Heater above it at shoulder blades?
Or
B) Lumbar placed on foam first, Heater placed over it, covering the entire height of the seat?
Or
C) Heater placed on foam first, entire height of seat, Lumbar placed on top of heater?
Or
D) I don't need heaters, I live in Southern California. Put the Heaters on my Jeep for when we go doorless in cold weather, and put just the Lumbar in the van?

What say you? Any ideas, comments or concerns?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #137
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You did well in Jeremy's video---none of us here are video stars!

Re: lumbar supports and heat---I'm thinking in addition to the seat bottom wouldn't having heat in the lumbar area be beneficial? Heat higher up on the seat back I can't see being that much more comfortable, could be strictly a personal preference?

If your adding heat to the seats works out and is easy enough I might consider adding this to the g/f's Toyota 4Runner---'twould be spectacular finding factory original Toyo heated seats but can't imagine they'd be cheap by any means. Adding something aftermarket is more appealing as they're replaceable if necessry, factory heat not so much.

Anyway nice progress---its a nice conversion as you're working things through.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #138

Garage
We have heated seats in our Jeep and it’s great in the winter cold here in Oregon. It’s just on the butt-seat, though, and seems more than adequate. I can’t see a good reason to go through all the work of getting it onto the seat back or lumbar. Even on the coldest day, once your butt is warmed and you’re nice and comfy, it gets too hot and you turn it off. Good luck with it!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #139

Good points from both of you. Thanks for the input. Lady Shadetree's VW Tiguan Seat Heaters heat the butt and the back. But we don't use them that often or for that long.

My concern with lumbar and the heater in the same real estate on the seat back is the heating element potentially damaging the lumbar bladder. Or more likely, the 2 membranes not laying nicely on top of each other. Especially with the Lumbar Bladder inflated. It may be fine but I only want to assemble this once.

Truthfully we use the Tiguan heaters once or twice a winter. I'll probably install some application of them while I have the seats apart just to have the option of using them. I hadn't thought of butt only. That may be the simplest option for me.

The Wrangler though could definitely use the seat heaters. When we 4 wheel in the winter with the doors off heated seats would be amazing. I may need to buy another set for the Jeep before next winter.

I can hear Lady Shadetree now, "BabyShadetwig needs a seat heater in the back seat too"

Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #140
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post

I can hear Lady Shadetree now, "BabyShadetwig needs a seat heater in the back seat too"
Well shucks---now I'm gonna have to look into heated seats now.

BTW ShadeTreeVanMan---wasn't it you a few days complaining how we make YOU want to spend more money? Is this your revenge?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote