Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #171
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I would NOT buy the Dorman intake---the OEM is a bit more but in the end far, far better quality and durability. Additionally it doesn't take the same gaskets, the fuel rails and COP bolts are nothing more than screws threaded for plastic. I'd much prefer those devices be attached to the intake by the metal threaded inserts Ford installs, proper bolts used instead of screws.

While swapping out my own 5.4 that had come to me with a Dorman intake I decided to go OEM if only to CMA on the warranty end should that ever be an issue.

You're making good progress---glad to see it coming along.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #172

I would go with the factory intake too! Dorman is good but I have a 5.4 in my pickup and it had an aftermarket that gave me trouble so I had a factory put in. I did a timing cover on a 351w with no issues but others have had leaks.

If you need any help when it comes to stabbing it back in let me know I can come by and help with?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #173

Well I can always send the Dorman back. The Motorcraft one is $100 more. Available at the dealer I ordered the engine through. Not much money in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the offer Vanimal, but I stuck the new engine back in the van last night. As soon as I figure out my intake I can move forward with reassembly.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #174

I fired the new engine up last night. Sounds strong and eager to run. No more knocking! Still need to bolt on the bumper and grill. Should be able to wrap it up this evening. Then we can be back to some camping trips.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #175

Garage
Bet that was a sweet sound!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #176

Awesome, you must be proud if not you should be!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #177

5000 miles into my Alaska trip, I was due for an oil change but the oil change places wanted as much as $95 for a full synthetic change, and they all seem to use crappy no name filters. I decided to do it my self, so stopped at Napa and picked up two 5 quart jugs of 5w20 full synthetic and a Napa platinum filter for a total of 44.26. Both were on sale too. The Valdez harbor had a waste oil depository and plenty of empty 5 gallon buckets. They even had oil absorbent pads for free. 45 minutes later, I returned the bucket, dumped the oil into the waste oil tank, and the filter into the filter press. So, for less than half price of the oil change places, I had fresh oil, a premium filter, and 3.5 quarts of new oil left over. That's a win in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I fired the new engine up last night. Sounds strong and eager to run...

Awesome, good job!

Are you going to pop off the oil pan from the boat anchor and remove the rod caps?

engine carnage and blued rod journal pics never get old
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Awesome, good job!

Are you going to pop off the oil pan from the boat anchor and remove the rod caps?

engine carnage and blued rod journal pics never get old
Heh heh. My neighbor was begging me last night to pull the pan. I would like those pictures as much as the next guy, but at this point, I just want to turn it in and collect my deposit back.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #180

Oil Pressure cold is about 80 PSI. Haven't gotten it off the driveway yet. We'll see how good it stays when warm. The gauges are in a great spot to scan quickly. The pre-2008 Autometer Pillar Mount had to be tweaked and trimmed a little to fit correctly. It mounts over the original pillar trim, but the 2012 trim has a grab handle. I removed the grab handle and cut the areas away that interfered with the overlay trim. After shooting it all in REM Vinyl paint I'm pretty satisfied with the result.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6265.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	29178

Waiting on a couple of seals to put the AC back together. After I install the seals I'll pull a vacuum on the AC System for 24 hours before loading the R134a back in. My research indicates the R134a capacity is 30 ounces. What I couldn't find is if that capacity was for a dual air passenger van or a single air delivery van.