Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #61

Three of us lifted the top off the trailer and up on the van from the back. It settled naturally into place. The piece I scabbed on in the back had to be trimmed a minor amount. After all the debate of using just SikaFlex, I ultimately reused the aluminum trim with screws just as it was done originally. It boiled down to it was going to be a lot of work to do the bodywork to fill all those screw holes around the perimeter. I found new rubber trim for the aluminum track online. I used SikaFlex UV caulk around the perimeter under aluminum trim. And a continuous heavy bead of SikaFlex Adhesive inside to fill any small gaps. This thing is glued and screwed where it can't leak. What a difference a few hours make. With all the peripherals already mounted to the top, all I need to do is go inside to run and connect all the wire. And cut all the trim pieces to finish the upholstery.

The new rubber to cover the screws needs to lay in the sun for a while to get flexible enough to install easily. Unfortunately it's not warm enough this weekend. We're camping at Lake Havasu for New Years. It may be warm enough there to make this trim pliable. Meanwhile, it's not that noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4673.jpg   IMG_4676.jpg   IMG_4678.jpg   IMG_4679.jpg   IMG_4680.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #62

Moving inside I routed the new Solar wires down to the Solar Controller, Added an on/off/on switch for the ceiling lights. Wired in the brake/running light and backup camera. Added a fuse block in the roof itself to ease adding any other devices up high. The main fuse block is in the cabinet by the door, and I didn't want to have to fish wires down from the roof each time I added something. Really happy with the MaxxFan. It can be switch from pull to push. With all the doors open it was more noticeable to have it push air into the van.

My buddies were each working on their vans this weekend too. Man Day Van Day was a success. Casey has the same AC setup I have, with a small section of the AC plenum left in the Headliner. He built a bulkhead yesterday that incorporates two AC vents to trim out the AC Plenum. Caseys solution is seen in the third picture below. As his van will have large storage areas running the length of the top, his bulkhead doesn't need to go all the way to the walls. Casey's Van is a 2003. It didn't have any AC vents pointing down left after he cut everything off. My 2012 has 2 AC Vents at the back, right where the plenum turns to the side. Casey added 2 more vents that point down like mine, for a total of 4 vents.

On my top, I'm going to add side windows and not have storage along the sides so my bulkhead will need to span wall to wall. I'm thinking more of a shallow shelf along the walls under the windows.

With this top, at 6' I can stand anywhere and not hit the ceiling. Along the sides, my hat brushed the roof. In the center where it's taller, it doesn't touch at all. Driving home last night I ran 70 MPH. The van didn't drive any different than before. No noise from the top. The LED light bar had a slight whistle at one point. Most of the time it was quiet. Overall I am very happy. Exciting to plan out the final trim out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4683.jpg   IMG_4685.jpg   IMG_4686.jpg  

Old 12-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #63

The windows I bought are approximately 8" tall and 20" long. I've been debating where to place them. I had thought to go directly above the side door windows, but from inside I would like the better to be in the middle of the living space, which places them more like the picture below. Any thoughts, ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4676 - Copy.jpg  

Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #64

Nice work, I dig your build! I have the same top and wrestled with window placement as well. I ended up placing them forward on the top so I'd be able to see outside when standing up to cook etc. I'm very happy that I did, otherwise They would be of little use other than ventilation.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #65

Garage
Looking good - Lot of progress! I would absolutely struggle acquiring the courage to make that hole in my roof (Like the first time jumping out of an Airplane for Skydiving...once your out its not that big an issue simply because you cant go back so you just deal with it)

Think Saline provides a good suggestion with the windows located close to your cooking station.
Since you're soliciting views, I would position them more above the sleeping area. Even though these are not large picture windows, I would still enjoy looking out at night to see the stars & moon, or have the daylight wake me in the morning.
It certainly will be a personal preference, but what the heck its just 2 more holes!
Old 12-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #66

Garage
Looking great. I think I'd place the windows wherever you'll do the most standing.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #67

Good points. I may wait until I’ve camped in it before cutting the windows in.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Looking great. I think I'd place the windows wherever you'll do the most standing.
Agree... unless you have any plans to install over-head cabinets. My windows are in the rear along the loft bed; cabinets encircle the space around the living area. Benefit is fresh air circulation and being able to see out through the windows from the sleeping berth, and having lots of cabinets. Draw-back is not having a good view out the windows while standing in living area. Acceptable trade-off for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #69

Garage
Good point about upper cabinets. No earlier mention of this, but important.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #70

Shadtree How about a pic of you inside for head room? I may not use my earlier top as a clam shell and mount my last EB top I have!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote