Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #41

Sorry my answer is so late. We've been camping in Northern California this week. The lift is from Maxx-Lift 99 - 09 E250/E350 TRUCKS 2WD FRONT LEVELING KIT and their 2" blocks in the rear. Even though the link says '99 to '09 they have a kit that fits my 2012. With front and rear lifts installed in my driveway I took it down to an alignment shop. They installed the correct camber bushings to get the camber within spec.

My awning was purchased years ago during an Amazon closeout of a Fiamma style awning made by Aleka. They were discontinuing their awnings with legs and sold the 10' version I have for $399. The parts on it look like copies of Fiamma's, with minor differences. If anything breaks I plan on buying Fiamma replacement parts.

The LED lighting is a 16'6" weatherproof strip I bought for $8 off of Amazon back when the awning was purchased. As I upgrade to a high top I'm going to upgrade the LED's to a newer set I've purchased with double the bulbs and double the lumens. The old ones are too far into the blue scale and the new ones are 3000k, or warm white.

Camping in the van all this week just gets me fired up to get my high top on the van. I hope to not sleep another night with the stock roof keeping me hunched over to change clothes. We put about 1600 miles on the van this week. Lot's of time to think about the new roof and what mod's I'll be doing to it and because of it. Other than the height limitations inside, Lady Shadetree and I both agree this van is an incredibly comfortable ride to take trips in.

Spent some of the trip mentally debating what LED lighting to have inside the high top. I was almost sold on LED strip lighting inside the aluminum housings superbrightleds have on their website. But finally decided to get 6-8 ceiling mount LED Puck lights with 4 more under the upper cabinetry, illuminating the countertops. The plan is to wire the under cabinet lights to work off the factory door switch circuit (which are timed) with an ON-OFF-ON switch to switch like the factory lights from Door Open, Off, or On. The ceiling mounted lights will wire to the 4 switch bank of switches inside the side door. The lights come with a wired in dimmer/remote that I may or may not utilize. The LED lighting I added to my Vanagon had the dimmer feature and I never really used it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3576.jpg   IMG_3693.jpg   IMG_3590.jpg   IMG_3643.jpg   81GS-S4y4sL._SL1500_.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #42

You knowwww! I did my own 4x4 4 link I call it 5 link and if you are coming with Casey to see the top I can show you my simple conversion I did 12 years ago! I have a 205 t-case and other suspension parts. My son may be in the market for a VW so maybe we can ???? Maybe you want one of the tops and sell yours? Just food for thought! By the way very help full are your post to many here and you are very cordial with everyone. I tend to be short and quick not on purpose just short on time and always thinking ahead, not in the immediate moment!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #43

Thanks for the kind words. Ironically I tend to be economical on words in person and more willing to explain when online. Weird, I know.

Casey told me the day you’re meeting up and I should be able to make it. Looking forward to seeing your project.

I plan on taking my top as far as I can with my limited talent. We may be begging you to sell us a top before it’s done, but let’s wait and see.

I was out on the driveway this evening building some more of the fiberglass structure to replace the tall door openings. I used some FRP as a backer to lay the fiberglass shaped as I needed it. I’ll flip the top over and glass the back side too.

The two spots on the rooftop were through and through long gouges. I glassed them in for integrity, now need to finish them off for aesthetics. Starting to feel like I’m getting somewhere with this top.
Attached Thumbnails
23FCC128-DC06-4C50-9C58-C41E0CB40982.jpg   74E8DC06-6B51-4B74-ADF2-F6A5FFBFADE4.jpg   5292028A-AF15-41C4-B7EC-297657C00802.jpg  

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 AM   #44
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Nice progress so far----you're getting there!

If it'd be helpful I have a raised roof E350 EB with taller rear doors, all interior paneling has been removed. I could send/post images how those door modifications are done by a larger scale converter.

Let me know!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #45

Garage
Where did you get the laminate for the cabinets? I am getting ready build out mine hopefully within the next month.

Also, you mentioned you used a laminate flooring with one sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
As I am installing it all , I have added 12V and 110V outlets throughout the van, with a 110V plug on the back bumper to feed the van. Permanently wired in a CTEK 4.3A Trickle Charger for those times I have shore power. My old Engel fridge has ran non-stop for over a year with the existing battery/solar setup. And the new Engel fridge has similar specs for power, but the trickle charger allows me to make sure the batteries are 100% before I pull out of the driveway.

I found a conversion van seat/bed in the salvage. Once I've decided it is adequate for our needs, I'll have it reupholstered.
BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #46

The cabinet laminate is Formica brand, ordered through my local Lowe’s. The problem with ordering from a laminate sample is the full sheet looked much different. Probably wouldn’t have picked this laminate in retrospect. Flooring is a one piece glue down from Home Depot, Traffic Master Scorched Walnut Charcoal.

Good luck on your project.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #47

Up date on the Fiberine tops. I know have RB wheelbase 18" tops available! There are aprox. 10 after speaking to my contact!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #48

Garage
How much do they want to the 18" tops? Where can they be picked up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Up date on the Fiberine tops. I know have RB wheelbase 18" tops available! There are aprox. 10 after speaking to my contact!
BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #49

Vanimal has started a specific thread about his Fiberine tops for sale. My buddy just bought the EB top from him. He still has RB tops available.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #50

Locally I can deliver but if not there in Riverside California