Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

where to instal Espar S3 coolant heater on E350 7.3 diesel

Hello,

We are considering installing the Espar S3 coolant heater on our 1997 E350 7.3 diesel. Preheating the engine block before attempting to start the engine makes winter camping more doable.

My questions:
1. What is the best location for the S3 unit? I think there is probably no place under the hood for the S3. Does it need to go under the van? Or perhaps on inside Aluminess bumper is an option?
2. Where should the coolant lines in the engine compartment be split to go to and from the S3?

Thank you!

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #2

Interesting, I was not aware of this model - S3.

Are you aware of this warning?
Please NOTE! Can operate up to 1500 meters in altitudes and S3 Hydronic is not compatible with high altitude kit!

re: location - That would be a hard one for me. I cannot think of anywhere in the engine compartment. Under the van on the driver side outboard of the frame but I would have to figure out some type of compartment. There is too much road salt, etc in the winter time for me to feel comfortable leaving an aluminum pc. exposed.

Behind the Aluminess bumper is interesting idea. The concern I would have is the wind chill factor (front or rear) while driving creating unacceptable temps for the unit itself. The combustion chamber in these units has to come up to temp pretty fast otherwise they become subject to coking due to multiple restarts. Add the lack of a high altitude compensation system and this might be a no go for us.

If you do decide to go forward, please dod a follow up as I would like to know what your experience is. Thxs!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Thank you! I did not know that the S3 had problems above 1500m! I will have to ask around some more because this would be an issue for us too!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

This is what I just found:

Economy: suitable for altitudes up to 1,500 m above sea level; altitude adjustment can be activated manually above 1,500 m with EasyStart Pro
Commercial: automatic altitude adjustment up to 3,000 m above sea level

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod...ommercial.html

So, It seems like the "normal" 12 V version can be manually adjusted above 1500 m through the easystart pro control unit. I think the commercial version with automatic correction for elevation operates only on 24V. So, I think it should not be an issue, also not for the 12V version, but I will talk to others as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

I'd mount the unit under the van, driver's side just behind the big body rib (just behind the driver's seat). If needed a protective panel could be installed.
My D4 is mounted in similar fashion but in front of the big body rib before the rear D side wheel well, (inside )
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Thanks Bbasso! Where did you make the cuts in the coolant line?
Old 12-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #7

Mine is located about 2’ in front of the left rear tire just below the fuel fill. Coolant lines run up toward the front and connect to OEM coolant lines running back from the engine compartment.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

I have the D4, air to air heater.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #9

Garage
This may provide a hint

You can just see the exhaust side of the heater in this image. It's on the driver's side, just aft of the front wheel. I've had it there for about 15 years. No problems, works perfectly - even in the mountains of Colorado, as well as the upper Midwest winters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Images for forum-3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24739
boswellbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post

My questions:
1. What is the best location for the S3 unit? I think there is probably no place under the hood for the S3. Does it need to go under the van? Or perhaps on inside Aluminess bumper is an option?

Thank you!
I saw a vid on YouTube a while back where someone removed right front fender and installed on an internal structure (firewall?). Can't find it now, but may be worth a search

Not sure if that helps.
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote