Originally Posted by boywonder
Bozzy.....curious about what you used to get the backup sensors in the bumper......a unibit? Did you put the "ear" features in each hole as well?...if so, what did you use for that?
As far as drilling out the holes, I centerpunched where I wanted the pilot hole after measuring it all out, then just a metal holesaw bit for the hole. I can't recall the exact size, but I can find out for you if you need it... I wrote it down somewhere. I reamed the hole out a tiny bit with a dremel to get them to just barely squeeze in.
The little ears on the sensor housing needed to be trimmed back because the aluminess bumper is thicker metal than the stock bumper was. To trim the ears back, I just cut about 1/4" or less back with a pair of dikes. I put them in, and pulled them out a couple times, and trimmed more to get the length right.
There are some slots on the factory sensor housings that I could have kept, but that would require cutting little rectangular slots on the perimeter of the holes to allow those slots to work. I believe they are there to keep the sensors from rotating. I dremmeled those slots off of the sensor housing so I could retain a round hole. The fit is very tight and I don't see them wanting to rotate, even off road. However if they do, I'll just secure them with some adhesive from the backside.
So far they work just like they did from the factory. A nice option to have when the lady is driving the van.
I should have taken some pics of the install, but I was in a rush. Hope that helps, if not I can try to find a pic of the factory sensor to post up, and show you what I'm talking about.