Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #21

Re: Window Cutout Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
there's nothing better than a good orbital jig saw with appropriate blades.
...for folks wondering about the "orbital" in jig saws.........

I have an older Bosch jig saw with three settings.....up and down, a little orbital, and alot of orbital. On "full orbital" the thing rips through stock very quickly. The difference between the first and third setting is night and day. On wood the "full orbital" is way faster but gives rougher cut.

So, something to consider when buying a jig saw.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #22

Aaaaaah airtools ! Me loves airtools
My wife always complains that I'm a tool hoarder but I really love my 380v air compressor and my water cooled 380v MIG/MAG welder
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #23

Thanks boywonder!
Karsten: I didn't even know there was a process called metal active gas (MAG) welding! I have only used inert gas. How does the active gas function differently while welding?

Don't think of this as a thread "hijack." Rather, just an "intermission," while Bee does his work and gets back to us with pictures...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #24

Simply said, MAG welding is the same process as MIG, just a different gas used (CO2 mixture "Corgon"). MAG is mainly used for steel, while MIG is used for NE-metals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_metal_arc_welding
Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #25
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
JWA: You're not grumpy. You're helpful.
JWA and shenrie: What about those windows Bee has ordered. He referred to them as "flat." Are they installable in the E-Series vans?
boywonder: I have to put a new drag link on the Bronco. How do you use your air impact hammer to remove the pitman arm from the drag link.
Now you have me 2nd guessing the compatibility. I bought these seeing they were universal. The van seemed flat to me but noticed it has a slight contour. I've done all the measurements for placement. Next step is cutting but I'm not going to do that until I know they're compatible. What do you think JWA?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #26

Bee: I would PM JohnandMandi, JWA and shenrie, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that they used a window with a slight bend to it and our vans have more curvature than you would think. But I may be being overly cautious. So I am sorry to bring it up. But again this is something to be overly cautious about.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #27
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Bee: I would PM JohnandMandi, JWA and shenrie, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that they used a window with a slight bend to it and our vans have more curvature than you would think. But I may be being overly cautious. So I am sorry to bring it up. But again this is something to be overly cautious about.
One thig about there window is it was quite larger than mine. It's be nice if the smaller size of this window might save me there.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #28

10-4. You know what you are doing. There is a cool tool which I have used for contours (primarily convex)

http://www.homedepot.com/s/contour+gauge?NCNI-5

I am not sure if these are the ones I have but I have two joined together for doing longer contours.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #29
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder

...for folks wondering about the "orbital" in jig saws.........

I have an older Bosch jig saw with three settings.....
So, something to consider when buying a jig saw.
Also own an older Bosch----bought in 1990 or so, still running, still one of the most amazing tools I've ever owned, bar none.

The orbital feature simply has the blade moving up and down which is normal but also advances the blade into the cut each stroke---the blade path describing an eccentric. In the metal cutting mode the smallest setting is preferred. When used for wood or other softer materials the larger orbital setting makes for fast work.

The idea these windows are called "universal" is they're not made specifically for any one van body. Sizes are determined by how much body side material you want to remove for their installation.

Yes most of them are flat but because the van body side is only curved slightly there isn't much of an issue with that being a huge issue. I will say trying install such parts by bonding with windshield urethane can be an issue though---the inner ring "clamp" pretty much over coming this minor fitment feature.

Bee you need to use a metal yardstick (or something similar) as a way to gauge by eye your body curvature and compare that with the window frame. I would assume you'll find there's only 1/4" total variation which the inner ring will compensate just fine.

I would advise a bead of exterior grade silicone sealer/adhesive between the window's mounting flange and the van body. Even if a foam seal in applied to the window frame the silicone is still advised. I've seen too many of those foam seals fail causing leaks that can go undetected for a long long time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #30

The RV windows we removed were flat and were squeezed inside the panel space, the left and right sides were screwed through the interior framing so they barely fit. They slid up and down but did not have any way to keep the window straight so they would easily cock to one side and jam while operating. The awning windows have a slight curve, not an exact match to the body, we had no issues with placement.

We chose the awning style because we've had them before and they are what Sportsmobile uses. I'm not trying to convince you to change windows just wanting to share that this is a job that should (more likely will) be done once. If you plan on building walls etc., changing windows later would be a much bigger job.

-John