Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Re: Windshield chip repair philosophy

My policy will pay for chip repairs, or replace the windshield for a $50 deductible.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Check with your auto insurance agent to see if your policy offers free or low cost windshield replacement. The State Farm policy we have does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
My policy will pay for chip repairs, or replace the windshield for a $50 deductible.

Mike
Deductibles vary typically with the agent who wrote your policy. In a lot of instance they'll write a higher deductible on those claims they anticipate will be most often reported for coverage. This is because agents are gauged on a ratio of policies written against claims presented, their commissions or in extreme cases ability to write policies for any one company greatly affected by the losses their clients cost.

If you'd like lower or zero deductible on any aspect of your coverage tell the agent. Many times they'll resist, telling you of massive increases blah blah blah but they're not telling the truth. This goes directly back to the above paragraph.

The biggest factor in determining your rates are any liability claims paid out for damage to another vehicle or the dreaded bodily injury claim. Covering your car with a well thought out comprehensive part of the whole-auto policy is relatively cheap and doesn't (usually) affect your liability part, the biggest part of the full cost.

Also fairly typical is your own vehicle damage deductible being the same for other covered claim. If you have a $50, $250 or $500 (or higher) deductible the agent tries getting the same on your entire policy---its not hard to see how that would greatly reduce their claims incidents not to mention them doing less work too.

Both quoted comments above show this to a degree----nothing is really "free" but how you construct your auto insurance policy greatly affects your out-of-pocket costs when damage occurs.

Hope that's somewhat interesting and informative.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #13

11 years ago we had to get a new windshield because of stone damage. Well it was just a few months later we took a two month trip to Alaska (2003). We had just reached our farthest out point and were now heading for home. I was proud that we we had no stone damage on the front of the van. Just as we got on the gravel Top Of The World highway this moron came of the the road heading north at 40-50mph towing a pop-up. He was throwing gravel in all directions. Yes, we caught one on the windshield just in front of the inside rear view mirror. Nickle size. I said a prayer for the guy Just gotten a new windshield I was not excited about taking the van in when we got home and getting a second one. So, I bought a repair kit and fixed it myself. Not all the spider cracks were filled and gone but I did it. Eleven years later and it is still the same size and has not grown at all. One advantage might be that it is almost to the top of the windshield so defroster heat hardly gets up there. So thermal stresses I suppose are low. Also I normally can't see it because of the review mirror blocks the view of it. So, for me the $4? amateur fix was worth it. Eleven years and counting.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #14

In Colorado, new windshields are a way of life. I've had repairs made, they never tend to last, so I just say to hell with it, and drive it until it drives me crazy, then replace. The wife's car is there now. Just waiting till spring, when there are less cinders on the road.

Now when the glass guys bring in a snowcat windshield to replace @ 1500+ each, quite a sight to see.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Yes, living in Colorado, new windshields are necessary every few years, I had just replaced one and not 3 months later took a stone that eventually sent a big crack across the whole thing. We also have "free" windshield chip repair and a replacement deductible from our insurance ($100?) beats having to shell out full amount every time. As for repair, we have had pretty decent success, it all depends on how much it has spread or spidered before you have it repaired. If it's already starting to spread, it may be too late. Throwing the defrost on hot in the middle of winter to warm things up turned out to not be such a great idea, it sent, what was a small crack, across the entire glass.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #16

The saga continues. Had the windshield replaced today by a seemingly competent shop in Jersey. I immediately drove back, over some of the worst roads in the US - I kid you not - and there was an incessant squeaking coming from the windshield or dash. My best hope is that it'll set a bit and, tomorrow, when I can get out there to check it out, it'll be okay. My fear is that it was badly installed and I'll have to deal with it some more. Anybody have experience with squeakiness after a windshield repair? It's a first for me. This never happened in my three replacement windows on the Tacoma.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #17
JWA

How soon did you drive your van after the installation was completed?

Also what make and year van is this?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #18

Drove it immediately afterwards. 2009 E-350,
Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #19
JWA

When I install a urethane set windshield I advise customers to let the vehicle sit perfectly still for at least 4 hours, 2 if they're willing to potentially deal with a leak. Even though I warranty any leak their co-operation tends to make this almost a non-issue.

The squeaking you hear is what we call the encapsulated molding rubbing against the body from the windshield moving around in the still wet (uncured) urethane bonding material. If this persists then the glass shop should be contacted ASAP, make them aware of your concerns.

Its also possible the cowl trim panels weren't properly re-attached so check that yourself---see if all the screws are in place.

Also make sure the headliner or A-Pillar trim panels are rubbing against the glass---normally they're at least 1/8-1/4" apart.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #20

I took it out for a test drive today and it seemed as though the squeaking was gone. I'll have to give it more rigorous run at some point in the next week, but I'm praying and hoping that it just needed to set and that my 20 minute ride home on the Jersey turnpike did not induce any damage.

I really appreciate all the feedback I have gotten here. Thank you so much.

Paul