Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Re: Winter camping and moisture/condensation control

Thanks for all of the replies and input!

I think I will stick to my plan as of now and see how it goes! I will get those weather tech guards though. If I need to make changes I'm sure I will be able to.

I got the heater mounted this weekend and successfully fired it up and ran it for a while! It puts out a good amount of heat and isn't very loud.

I'm pretty excited to take the van to the mts. and see how it does!

BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #12

First winter night in the van last Friday! Worked out great!
The heater works really well and the wife said she was too warm! Although not warm enough to lower the dial! I was nice and cozy!
Cracked one front window and left the top down. We did have a pretty wet windshield, but it dried up pretty quick with the defrost when we were ready to move in the morning.
I had the t-stat set pretty low and the unit cycled quite a bit. I think once I get further with the insulation it will maintain temps better. Didn't have reflectix or anything in the windows either. It was maybe 25 degrees that night.
Super excited for the next trip! Next weekend!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO
I had the t-stat set pretty low and the unit cycled quite a bit. ...
On my thermostat, I was able to increase the spread between the on/off temps to reduce cycling.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #14

Reviving an old thread.

I am curious about those that posted with dogs, when you are out skiing/snowboarding, are the pups just hanging in the van in the parking lot? If so, ever any issues with people freaking about animals left in the vehicle? The van would be plenty warm enough for my dogs to cuddle up while I am getting some runs in. Out here in CO I would actually be more concerned about the van getting too warm during the sunny days! It would be great to know what you all are doing because I would love to plan some overnight ski trips this winter that I could bring the pups along too.
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #15

When we bring our dogs to A-basin, they just hang out in the truck while we make runs for a while then come and let them out for a fetch session. Alternate like that throughout the day! I'm hopefully getting a van soon, but we'll do the same thing once I have it. A-basin is one of my favorites for that reason: very dog friendly.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #16

Cool, that is what I was thinking, take a few runs, check on the pups, and then head back up for some more. I have only been to A-Basin a few times, but each time was great! Looking to get back there this winter.
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #17

I got an RV dehumidifier for mine...

https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
Cool, that is what I was thinking, take a few runs, check on the pups, and then head back up for some more. I have only been to A-Basin a few times, but each time was great! Looking to get back there this winter.
If I get things all set up with a van, we should def meet up this winter and burn some runs on the Pali lift! One of my favorite spots in CO (thus far). I also thing they still allow you to overnight camp in the upper lot there which would be kick ass. If they don't allow it, I think you can still camp at the top of Loveland Pass if it's open.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #19

I've had little luck preventing condensation on the windows, but if it's not frozen, a microfiber cloth will mop up most of it, then just a couple minutes of defrost will have them completely dry as opposed to running the defroster for ten or more minutes.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote