Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Womens Studio and Home on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
Greetings Caroline and best wishes to you on the big adventure.

While this forum is my go-to place for van related questions, you might enjoy visiting the "CheapRvLiving" forum for tips/tricks on peeps living/working full time out of their rig/van. Lots of good ppl and knowledge.

Thom's build tip... IF you happen to utilize 3m77 spray adhesive...be sure to tuck your hair in a ball cap or even...gasp...a shower cap. My wife found that out the hard way during our build.

: ) Thom
Thank you! I'm a member of that site also! And I was planning on using spray adhesive and I have really thick hair down to my belly button, so I will for sure invest in a shower cap.. As attractive as that will be, Its better than damaging my hair. So thank you so so much for that tip!!!

caroline5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Womens Studio and Home on Wheels

So it's been a long time since updating this. I had been in a bike accident during a triathlon that put me a bit behind schedule. But I started working on the van quite a bit lately. My main Projects have been sanding down the rust and repainting. And also painting a mural on the side

I still have to paint the other door and figure out if I'm going to paint the door handle section but otherwise I'm done with the right door part of the mural. The left door will go faster because it's smaller.

I have also drilled holes through the roof so I can cut the roof off tomorrow! (Well technically that's my brother drilling holes through)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #13

Garage
Re: Womens Studio and Home on Wheels

Hi Caroline,

Great to hear about your studio/home on wheels. Your van will give you a lot of Joy and maybe sometimes, a little sadness. Please regularly check your batteries, oil, water, brake fluid, remembering, it's a machine.
Look after the machine and it will look after you. This machine, will take you to the beach, the mountains, rivers.
I have a van currently in storage in Fresno, CA, for future trips. Was there for 6 weeks, June/July this year.
There's some really interesting people on this Forum, from all over the U.S. and The World, so please ask us, we will all be eager to advise and probably even help.
I for one, look forward to your vans Evolution!

Cheers, Doug,
Western Australia.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #14

Mural looks good, now you need to paint the whole van ala Drew Brophy:

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Mural looks good, now you need to paint the whole van
Haha thats amazing! but he uses spray paint and an air gun. I can't do that, mine was painted with regular canvas brushes and rust oleum paint from a can. Mine took over a week just to do the door. To do the whole van I'd be here all winter!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #16

Caroline: What's the plan after you cut the roof off?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Caroline: What's the plan after you cut the roof off?
I'm planning on building a wooden high top! I already cut the rectangle of the roof that I want off but I haven't cut the support beams yet so the roof isn't totally off yet. I'm trying not to be so all over the place and focus on one thing at a time so I'm hoping to finish painting before I finish the roof. So for now I just have a big tarp over the top.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #18

I have been following your build with interest. It's nice to see someone being creative and doing a van build with a minimal budget.

As far as your high top goes, there was a recent thread entitled "more fun with plywood" in which several different ways of using ply and a lightweight core material were discussed. You might want to look over that thread to at least be able to consider some alternative ways of making a top. Cored materials are much lighter for a given strength and stiffness as well as providing better sound and thermal insulation.

There are many resources available to explain the building process and while some aspects are more complex, other parts of the construction can be easier with laminated materials. Feel free to ask questions if you get to that point.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
I have been following your build with interest. It's nice to see someone being creative and doing a van build with a minimal budget.

As far as your high top goes, there was a recent thread entitled "more fun with plywood" in which several different ways of using ply and a lightweight core material were discussed. You might want to look over that thread to at least be able to consider some alternative ways of making a top. Cored materials are much lighter for a given strength and stiffness as well as providing better sound and thermal insulation.

There are many resources available to explain the building process and while some aspects are more complex, other parts of the construction can be easier with laminated materials. Feel free to ask questions if you get to that point.
Thank you! And I have money I could spend on my build but I guess the way I look at it is the more money I spend on building my van the less money I get to spend adventuring in it! And I'll try to find that and look into it. I have a while till I'm building all of it. I'm going to finishing painting then I need to completely remove my roof and build the roof frame first. My brother has worked on building houses and tiling and all sorts of that stuff and he's an engineer so He's going to help a ton.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #20

More fun with plywood...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... 40&t=16662
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote