Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #31

Todays Progress. The front part needs to be built still and the side supports and windows need to go in.
Attached Thumbnails
vanroofsmaller.jpg  

caroline5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
As the brother of a similarly ambitious sister, im interested to see where this project goes

Word to the wise when building that wood structure... use lots of glue! gorilla glue would be my choice. Glue EVERYTHING!
Yes tons of glue trust me!! Ive been buying the giant things of it! And thank you, when a women gets an idea in her head, nothings going to stop her
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
Site Team

So when does the van come out of the cocoon and get to be used?

Herb
Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #34

CAROLINE5757: Impressive! All of it! glad you posted an update as I was looking around the forum and read your old thread the other day. Maybe I need to grow some nails to change my mindset! I did lots of climbing when younger tho and never had nails.

I always think NEXT life I will learn to use power tools and build stuff. That reminds me tho, my best friend has all your crazy skills and more- she does the home improvement projects at their house. She calls me when she needs structural input so I helped her with repairs at her aunts 100 yo house. Hmmm if she didn't work 60 hours per week she may actually want to help me build a rig.

Working around kids will keep your mind well rounded- right? Keep up the good work!
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
CAROLINE5757: Impressive! All of it! glad you posted an update as I was looking around the forum and read your old thread the other day. Maybe I need to grow some nails to change my mindset! I did lots of climbing when younger tho and never had nails.

I always think NEXT life I will learn to use power tools and build stuff. That reminds me tho, my best friend has all your crazy skills and more- she does the home improvement projects at their house. She calls me when she needs structural input so I helped her with repairs at her aunts 100 yo house. Hmmm if she didn't work 60 hours per week she may actually want to help me build a rig.

Working around kids will keep your mind well rounded- right? Keep up the good work!
Thank you Annie! Good nails are essential. I took 9 years of classical piano as a kid and was forced to have short nails. Now no matter what, at sea for days on end, using power tools, or chasing kids around, I keep mine perfectly manicured. It makes a total mindset difference! It just makes you feel so much more feminine and beautiful!

And anyone can use power tools, and build anything they want. I have some building experience, but most stuff I'm just teaching myself. You just can't be afraid of doing things a few times before you get it right And your best friend sounds amazing, and I'm sure she would love to help! When I started this I was working 60-70 hours a week, at two jobs.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
So when does the van come out of the cocoon and get to be used?

Herb
Unfortunately I spent the majority of my saving in the caribbean on my sailing trip, so after I finish the roof and a few other things on it, I have to go back to working full time for a year or two.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #37

So I got up the three side support beams on the left side of the van. They are bolted through the metal and the wood frame. The pictures kind of explain it all. Tomorrow I'm taking a sort of day off and working inside to build my two windows for that side (they are 12x12) so that I can get those build into the frame.

The windows will just be centered in between each support beam. I think I will also have one horizontal 2x4 running in-between each side support.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidesupports.jpg   sidesupportclose.jpg   underbolt.jpg   topbolt.jpg   sideandfrontbolt.jpg  

Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #38

Heres more detail of the back. How its all put together and the back shelf. I don't know what to do with the actual corners yet... Where the edges of the roof will meet. I feel like I need support beams going down in each corner but I'm not really sure how to go about that. Im open to suggestions and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
back.jpg   backcorner.jpg   backcupports.jpg  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #39

You'll definitely want something in the corners.. I think you have the system, just make another one turned on an angle so the 2x4 edge is the corner.. Make sense? It's a more complicated cut, but you'll figure it out.

Otherwise, this all looks a little sketchy and I think it's awesome.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #40

Just three more windows and a few more boards and the frame is all done..
Attached Thumbnails
van front frame.jpg