Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #41

Almost done, I'm putting a sailboat hatch on the roof tomorrow so I have a skylight and a way to get out the top. Sitting on the roof has quickly become my favorite, so I've started to just call it the deck. I have to finish the Windows, do the aluminum trim on the corners and edges. Put in some bolts and screws and it's done. I leave in two weeks for a month long dirt bike trip, and will have the roof done before I leave.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

caroline5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #42

That looks so awesome- Way cooler than I had envisioned it! Nice feel to it, be sure to post some interior and deck shots when you have a chance- enjoy
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #43

cool....please post a few more pics.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #44

Alright. Sorry for the poor image quality. Here's the ceiling from the inside pre-hatch. The 2x4s will be sanded down and whitewashed. But that's after all the walls are in.

Here's the bottom of the hatch installed.

An awkward but funny picture of me sitting on the roof screwing in the ceiling from the top and cutting down the metal brackets with an angle grinder.

And last but not least the top. Tomorrow a friend is coming over and helping to lift the top sheet of plywood onto the top, because I'm not strong enough. Then it just needs to be glued, screwed, the top of the hatch fit in. And then moving on to aluminum edging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #45

Really nice job on the cross bracing and clean joints. Couple of questions
Are you going to whitewash with wood grain showing? (I love the feel of the knotty pine with sky showing through)

Is the roof a usable platform and if so how do you plan to access roof?

How did you end up handling the corner bracing?

I know you are on a deadline so whenever you have a chance, would be great to hear back. Going to pm you since we are both in northern Midwest (I'm not that far from MI)
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Really nice job on the cross bracing and clean joints. Couple of questions
Are you going to whitewash with wood grain showing? (I love the feel of the knotty pine with sky showing through)

Is the roof a usable platform and if so how do you plan to access roof?

How did you end up handling the corner bracing?

I know you are on a deadline so whenever you have a chance, would be great to hear back. Going to pm you since we are both in northern Midwest (I'm not that far from MI)
Definitely a light white wash just to brighten things up, so wood grain still showing.

Yes the roof is very much usable. I had a couple friends witting up there with me yesterday . I plan to access it through my hatch. The way you crawl out boat hatches all the time. I'll put a little step of some sort on the way to help pull myself up. The opening I believe is 18" by 13" so plenty of room to climb through. I already tested it

The corners I can post pictures of I think I should have some just need to dig them up. I actually did the back corners differently from the front, both methods were effective. I can post both when I have time.

And I will definitely pm you back when I have a minute, I just have had so so so much to do before I leave I look forward to it. I am in the upper peninsula of Michigan so wayyyy north, but could definitely plan somthing ebentually. Girls gotta stick together
Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #47

update on roof

My wooden roof is completely done and has been working great! . After finishing the painting and roof I redid all my brakes, rotors, and calipers, and decided to take a break from working on it. I have just been driving it and enjoying it for a while. The yellow wheel stops are on there cause I took the picture right after I finished my breaks.

So heres a few pictures of it done and how I did the aluminum trim, before i cleaned up the edges, sanded, primed and painted it.

the roof has a standing hight of 5'10" so I have 6 inches of clearance above my head. perks of being short.

There is flexible flashing under the aluminum trim to ensure its water tight, and tons of silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Van outside done.jpg   Top trim.jpg   bottom trim.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #48

Garage
Awesome!!

Somewhere I've got a sweet "Tiny houses" book that features a ton of really neat "houses on wheels," and there'a a couple pages devoted in particular to another "artist's studio on wheels" that a woman put together using a Dodge Van. Not nearly as rustic and artfully crafted as yours on the outside, but it was a nifty interior space that she had built to convert in function between being both living / sleeping space and also artist's studio. I'll have to see if I can't dig up that book and upload pics of her rig.

And to you, seriously --
Congrats and well done, lady!!!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #49

As usual this forum answers my questions shortly after they come up. Just last month I was wondering how you were coming on the conversion. Got any photos of the inside? It looks great.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Awesome!!

Somewhere I've got a sweet "Tiny houses" book that features a ton of really neat "houses on wheels," and there'a a couple pages devoted in particular to another "artist's studio on wheels" that a woman put together using a Dodge Van. Not nearly as rustic and artfully crafted as yours on the outside, but it was a nifty interior space that she had built to convert in function between being both living / sleeping space and also artist's studio. I'll have to see if I can't dig up that book and upload pics of her rig.

And to you, seriously --

Congrats and well done, lady!!!

Thank you! I would love to see if you can find the pictures. I love finding inspiration from other artists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk