Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #151

Apparently I’m awful at updating here..

Picked up a new 2014 F350 rear end with e-locker!!!

Started a new job and then put a new fuel pump In the van and replaced a cracked HPOP cover...

Been gathering up to swap the rear axel in Jan and get the front Dana 60 rebuilt with a locker to get swapped in probably feb/march!!!

Camping Saturday at Mohican State Park!! Took the trailer to haul fire wood..

Ran to Lima Monday to pickup a new set of 8x170 rims when I swap the rear axle in January! (Color even matches the trailer wheels!!)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #152

Big big HUGE BIG DAY!!

As it turns out that the axle I purchased in October as I was cutting the brackets and moving the perches out I reached over and looked at the tag. It was supposed to be 373s per the seller I never bothered to check the tag, it'll end up being 3:31...

Those are far lower than the 355 that are currently in the van and will not work.

after deliberation and talking to a bunch of people in looking at pricing I decided to take a look see if I could find a set of axles with 410 gears in them due to the fact that if I was going to re-gear the 3:31 I might as well go to 4:10 and do both front and rear axles

So I started looking to Craigslist and found a full roller F350 chassis with 4:10 gears and the rear has a limited slip. I'll be able to put my e locker into it and drilling a hole in the side of the case for the electrode magnet power wires and I don't have to worry about setting the gears in the new Carrier.

So today we rented a trailer and my son and longtime friend Sully went north and brought it back...then unloaded and proceeded to pair down the frame and save the bits we need.

Bonus extras we got!

Driveshafts -omg saving me a bunch of $$ because we can use these parts when the drivelines are made at the shop

Front sway bar
Rear axle has new brake calipers!
More springs
Drag links
Steering
Panhard bar and brackets
Set of steelies...so now I got plenty of spare wheels!! I wasn't going to have any with the new bolt pattern!

Upon reflection I will be able to use the truck frame and the van frame for measurements and pre build the radius arm brackets and extend the drag link and get the longer steering linkages so I can bang all that on..put the radius arm brackets on the van and possibly install the drag link bracket on the frame and engine crossmember days before the axle gets changed.

That should make the front end swap a single day job..vs 3 days of what I estimated!! A weekend job!!!

Rear should get installed soon...I've gotta take a look at new tires for the new rims
...that way I start with new rubber and any weird habits are suspension that needs adjusted and easier to get it dialed in!!

Confirmed it's 4:10 and a limited slip..

Old 01-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #153

We got a whole bunch of stuff done today. We got the frame cut down scrapped out save some sections of it 4 the brackets that I need to build for the swap.

Got the axle cleaned off pearches moved and welded on. Found out that the shock brackets are actually bolt ons so once we get it underneath and the shocks located in the correct spots I'll go ahead and do a little stitch weld to hold him in place.

Did some measuring and confirmed some things will line up....

one of the more important was finding out that the driveline yoke on the van is the exact same one that bolts onto the new Axel so I don't have to do any driveline modifications all until I do the four wheel drive conversion. so I'll be able to reuse my current drive shaft in the van that already has new Spicer u joints in it.

Feeling super productive definitely feel like I'm on a roll the last 2 days what's monumental leaps and bounds towards getting this completed soon.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #154

Good stuff Wanderer... nice to have the help isn't it.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #155

I dig your budget build! Congrats on the accomplishments you have made thus far. Nice to see the family all involved!
What T-case are you going to run? The other issue will be the fuel tank. If you run the big 350 Case it is huge definitely will have to shorten the tank. Try the 1356 - case it may fit without sectioning the tank and it is pretty damn strong t-case unless you can find a NP 205! You will have to trim the front lip on the engine cross member to clear the pan hard bar. What ever bracket you build for the pan hard tie it into the engine cross member for strength. Some vendor kits to me under estimate the lateral forces of the pan hard so I over killed mine. If you want pics let me know!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #156

I found this image this year when I was looking for differences in the frames between Ford pickup trucks and Ford vans. I have not verified this yet but it is the only drawing I've ever seen directly comparing the two.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1516852768120.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	31342
Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
I dig your budget build! Congrats on the accomplishments you have made thus far. Nice to see the family all involved!
What T-case are you going to run? The other issue will be the fuel tank. If you run the big 350 Case it is huge definitely will have to shorten the tank. Try the 1356 - case it may fit without sectioning the tank and it is pretty damn strong t-case unless you can find a NP 205! You will have to trim the front lip on the engine cross member to clear the pan hard bar. What ever bracket you build for the pan hard tie it into the engine cross member for strength. Some vendor kits to me under estimate the lateral forces of the pan hard so I over killed mine. If you want pics let me know!
I've decided I'm going to run a 205 because my last rig I had a 205 in it and if you grind the front shift rail down just right you can put it into front wheel drive only either low ranger high range. But you cannot put the front and rear in different ranges. They're both in low or both and I or both in neutral or one in low or high. I have this on my old woods truck and I can put it in front wheel drive step on the brake and turn like a skid steer

I'm going to end up buying the $70 kit from u-joint to do the fuel tank it's just easier that way. Plus I'm a proficient welder and once I go to leak check it I'll fill it with water and look for any drips.

The track bar brackets are notorious for being weak and we have had to take more than one vehicle and ratchet strap zip tie baling wire and duct tape the track bar bracket and steering box back to the frame when it rip free.

I like the addition of the engine crossmember brace. But after seeing this design from another company I'm actually going to do one that is a track bar that is incorporated into the sway bar mount brackets that run between the two frame rails so in essence the track bar bracket will get the engine cradle and both frame rails tied together to distribute all of the forces which will prevent frame flex and or ripping the bracket off!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578934946687.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	31343
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #158

Yeah I hear you on the ratchet strap pan hard bar assist! Been there done that on Jeeps. I know about the 205 set up and the twin stick availability. I have a flipped 300 in my XJ behind a modified/sectioned 231. I have 3 sticks one for hi low and then the t-case. You can do the same with a front half of a 1356 on that 205 as well but who's gonna be crawling in an EB???
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Yeah I hear you on the ratchet strap pan hard bar assist! Been there done that on Jeeps. I know about the 205 set up and the twin stick availability. I have a flipped 300 in my XJ behind a modified/sectioned 231. I have 3 sticks one for hi low and then the t-case. You can do the same with a front half of a 1356 on that 205 as well but who's gonna be crawling in an EB???
Some guys really good at body repair!!! Lol
Old 01-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #160

410 axle is broke down..ring gear and the ABS ring are off.. tomorrow/Thursday the 331 locker axle gets broke down and the 410 gear n abs ring get put on the locker carrier!!

Sofar all the bearings are in fantastic shape!! Gonna do something fun with the axle n cover bolts!

Stoked stoked stoked!!!