Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherman View Post

This is going to be so helpful in the future!!!!

Yep.. I’m actually doing a new fabric top as we speak… old one was worn in a few places and it was time for an upgrade

Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #262

2400 miles… 35 hours driving in 4 1/4 days..

Central Ohio to Niagara Falls and stayed the night at the welcome center… slept to the sound of the falls and the rapids…

Next stop was Lake Ontario.. that finished out the last Great Lake I needed to visit…

A beautiful drive across NY thru Vermont (beautiful BTW…) the long way south to north.. then into New Hampshire… we drove so long without hardly another vehicle near us… lots of moose crossing signs…. No mooses… but more amazing views!!!

Got to Mount Washington late in the evening so we found a great campground by the cog railway. Wife wanted to camp less dispersed and we started a new camping trend… Parking Lot Pie!!! Multiberry,pecan and Buttermilk Pie!! Trust me on the buttermilk!!

Next morning the weather was perfect… unfortunately we should have climbed the mountain in low range 2wd… we got to mile 3 and the temperature spiked and we boiled over…made it to (no joke) radiator springs!! Cooled off.. couple gallons of cold water… drove another 1/2 mile 4400 feet elevation and she got hot… so we called it.. too many miles to drive so we bailed down to town… 3 1/2 gallons of coolant later and we were full n perfect temp) holds 4…

From there we drove to BAR HARBOR MAINE!! where we got snacks.. found a leaking water pump…. Found an auto zone… put in some stop leak and got an extra gallon of antifreeze…(we checked over the remainder of the trip and never had another drip of coolant or needed any refills!)

Got some lobsters… drove to thunder hole and had an amazing romantic dinner in the parking area….

The next 2 days were a blur of driving around Acadia national park and the island…so many sights and sounds and good food!! We found coin operated showers and bunked at the Walmart (parking lot pile every night!!)

Discovered there’s an island off bar harbor you can WALK TO during low tide!!! That was WILD!! Lil crabs all over

We finally left Monday afternoon headed to the Warren Tavern in Boston for a beer n dinner… well Boston isn’t big van friendly and after 25 min of VERY narrow roads and one way streets we gave up and headed to another pub further away from the center of town… got a bacon infused beer and tacos… then turned south west for Rhode Island and then Hartford Connecticut Cabellas… good nights sleep and an early shower… 990 miles home and only one traffic jam..

We for sure will be back to bar harbor!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #263

Garage
That brings back a lot of memories - On you next excursion to Mount Washington you'll have to do the Cog railroad - takes you to the peak. If you time it right you'll hit one of the '5% days'...That's what they refer to as a clear day with almost unlimited views (you can see the cities of Montreal and Boston). It's a really cool experience going up that steep of a grade behind a small steam engine.
The info center at the Observatory has some very interesting pic's and info: It's considered one of the coldest spots in the world...gets to -30 with close to 80mph winds = a minus 90 degree wind chill.
In Bar Harbor you can find a small private campground that overlooks that Island just off Bar Harbor - when the water recedes all the locals come for a party; trudging around in the mud 'claming' and picking up stranded seafood, and they all enjoy sharing their story. Just down the street is a small Seafood restaurant which will graciously deliver freshly cooked Lobsters to your camp site!
The whole North Eastern area of the US is stunning. Consider Letchworth State Park on your next trip - it's one of the nicest in the US!
Old 07-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
That brings back a lot of memories - On you next excursion to Mount Washington you'll have to do the Cog railroad - takes you to the peak. If you time it right you'll hit one of the '5% days'...That's what they refer to as a clear day with almost unlimited views (you can see the cities of Montreal and Boston). It's a really cool experience going up that steep of a grade behind a small steam engine.
The info center at the Observatory has some very interesting pic's and info: It's considered one of the coldest spots in the world...gets to -30 with close to 80mph winds = a minus 90 degree wind chill.
In Bar Harbor you can find a small private campground that overlooks that Island just off Bar Harbor - when the water recedes all the locals come for a party; trudging around in the mud 'claming' and picking up stranded seafood, and they all enjoy sharing their story. Just down the street is a small Seafood restaurant which will graciously deliver freshly cooked Lobsters to your camp site!
The whole North Eastern area of the US is stunning. Consider Letchworth State Park on your next trip - it's one of the nicest in the US!

We looked into that campground but they think it might be closed. And yeah we got a 5% day unfortunately we didn’t make it to the top. But we had far too many miles to go to risk damage to the engine. And the car really look fun but I didn’t feel like spending $80 a person on a budget trip!!

Letchworth was going to be an alternative if we decided not to travel that far out it’s definitely on my list of places to go this year!!
Old 07-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #265

I’ve been keeping this little project a secret. I stumbled across this fabric and had it custom printed on heavy canvas. Industrial waterproofed it took two weeks to dry in the garage. I got about 20 hours in it but I now have a much better looking significantly tighter and heavier duty canvas top with actual clear windows!!

I think it turned out freaking amazing!!

Thanks to mama Dorothy for teach me how to use a sewing machine. When I was looking for needles I found some of her old seamstress tags and just had to pay homage to my mama

And before you ask I made my top from scratch. And it works so much better than sportsmobile design, there’s no chance of chains gonna break or I’m gonna bend a bracket

Old 07-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #266

Nice work! Thanks for all the pics and tales of adventure! Keep them coming.
coloradoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:54 AM   #267

Garage
Wow, well done.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:21 AM   #268

Thanks y’all!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #269

Thats very nice, good work..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #270

Always love your ingenuity. Do I understand correctly that you got it industrial waterproofed yourself? Can you give us any details? I want to do the same with fabric for a fishing backpack.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote