Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Classic Rally STX Diesel

I wanted to give any van hunters a shot at this before I get started on its evolvement. It is a 1983 Chevy Rally STX Van fully loaded with rear air, and with a 6.2 non turbo diesel. I am putting in a motor from a military M1008 with 34,000. These motors come with a higher factory horsepower rating at 165 vs the 130 hp civilian model.

Forum Quotes " The 6.2 is a good and reliable engine. Downside is it is not a real popular engine for aftermarket parts availability as compared to the Cummins 5.9 or Duramax 6.0 for example. If you need a good reliable engine that is easy and cheap to maintain, used for general light-duty pickup truck usage, this is a good choice."
The fuel economy in these motors is quite remarkable and some reports up to 20-22 mpg on pickups. This motor was going to go into a Scout but I have a 4cyl John Deere for my Scout. I will consider a turbo if I was to keep it.
I am also debating converting it to 4x4 and will explore the possibility depending on my inspection of the unibody style suspension and how it can be converted. To sell now as it sits, I would be in the $4000.00 range if I did the engine swap, or $3000.00 for van and motor and you do the swap! There is no rust and has the original tutone brown beige Rally paint job. This will look good lowered with a couple boards on top or raised with a raised top or clam shell! I would sell it without the motor for $2000.00 and you can put a Cummings in it yourself, your choice!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

Pictures please.
DJ_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

PM me with a cell # I will text them!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote