Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

02 e350 $30500 ?

Apparently there's quite a price premium for the 7.3, but for this kind of money there better be a 4 w.d. system under it.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...855972514.html

FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Garage
nope rwd. doesn't mention a lift, but looks taller than stock to me.

clean and really nice looking van though, and chateau's are hard to find from what I gather.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
nope rwd. doesn't mention a lift, but looks taller than stock to me.

clean and really nice looking van though, and chateau's are hard to find from what I gather.
Mentions "The entire front end is completely upgraded including gearbox, brakes and tires all recently upgraded." wouldnt that indicate 4x4?

if not then in my opinion this is far overpriced considering the mileage and lack of any sort of solar, house battery, other goodies ... even considering the rarity of the chateau's.
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Garage
One picture taken from back inside the Van frames the dash and both front seats - no shifter...unless its push-button/electric? Gearbox description probably refers to Steering box.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

From picture 5 or 14, it is likely you would see the front driveshaft or transfer case, even if it was only a corner of it. I would be able to on my van. I'd feel pretty confident in claiming it was 2wd.

This van was for sale for quite some time- For a while it was listed as "Make offer" in the same area.

While clean and "not white", it doesn't have much else going for it. 250K miles is quite a bit (In before I get an earful from the diesel guys...), I suppose I will add the caveat that, at least for the asking price.

If he's got a full motor/trans build, and he's done all the suspension work, maintenance from day one, the whole 9 yards, and has a complete 4x4 system in parts not installed ready to go with it, $30K is a great deal.

Sounds like the seller is banking on, "Oh, but it's got the traveler package!"... Yeah, that traveler package is 20 years old and needs updated anyhow. You aren't selling a ferrari, most people who have an econoline and want an entertainment system probably wouldn't have to think too hard or long about putting their own systems in.

Hey, mine has keypad entry on it. I suppose I could ask $45K for it after I put another 150K miles on it, since I haven't seen another one with it and mine's already 4wd?

$0.02.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
If he's got a full motor/trans build, and he's done all the suspension work, maintenance from day one, the whole 9 yards, and has a complete 4x4 system in parts not installed ready to go with it, $30K is a great deal.
yea I wasn't explicitly saying it WAS 4x4 just that a front gearbox could indicate such .... I personally would not call steering a gearbox (technicality of correctness aside) and I don't know what service would be required there worth mentioning.

That said, I am a diesel guy and I think that is high mileage for the price (as I said above). I would also respectfully disagree, even if he had everything you mentioned 30k is overpriced for that considering its lack of anything else special AND the need to either do the work or pay a shop to install all the parts. 250k miles on a 7.3 is not scary per se but I am not paying 30k for a vanilla van with that many miles and nothing else going for it.

I paid only a few thousand more for my van, with solar, 300 AH house batteries, 4x4 converted, aluminess everything (like it or hate it that is a value factor), 12v fridge and so on with 75k fewer miles and the pre 2001 motor with the stronger cast rods not the powdered metal rods this one has.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Here, if someone's looking for one of these and don't have an absolute hardon for green Chateau's:

White E-350 Chateau Diesel, 2002, 280K, $8500 : https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...854218287.html
White E-350 Chateau Diesel, 2002, 145K, $20K: https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/...864316531.html
Black E-350 Chateau Diesel, 2006, 210K, $8500.: https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...864208448.html
Black Quigley E-350 Chateau Diesel, 2006, 290K, $8500 -- Sorry mis-spoke. $14K: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...851992838.html

Only bothering to search private ads for what's for sale at this very second. There were a lot of 150 Chateau's that I didn't bother to look at, and these ones mostly look "meh". Looking for a 7.3 Chateau takes a bit of patience, and while the traveler package is unique, I'm far from convinced that it adds value.

I've seen a lot of very nice Chateau diesels (Both 7.3 & 6.0, and 4WD at times) come and go, even with low mileage for reasonable prices.

From what I gather, this guy is holding out for the unicorn buyer for a unicorn van. Don't most kids just watch stuff from their phones nowadays anyhow???!?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #8

nice finds offroading ... those top two links demonstrate just how overpriced this van really is.

the 20k one I am not entirely sure I agree is even worth that, but its a far better deal than the one this thread is about for 30k
Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
nice finds offroading ... those top two links demonstrate just how overpriced this van really is.

the 20k one I am not entirely sure I agree is even worth that, but its a far better deal than the one this thread is about for 30k
I never want to say this very loudly for fear of being too late to find a good deal... But SearchTempest is a wonderful resource if you want to comb craigslist for something specific and dont mind having to travel to get what it is you want. I think all I did was put in "Chateau", "Owners only" and "Diesel"... Pretty much nothing pops up except for these. (Don't think diesels were an option for anything except 350's and up).

Ended up finding an ambulance(7.3L) for $7500... he only had 12K miles on it, was from an old folks home. I wanted to buy it, drive it to CA and sell it for $25K, but at the end of a university semester, that wasn't going to happen.

For a while I used it in hopes I could convince my dad to find and buy a 6 speed E63 M6 (Only about 300 were made, really hard to come by a nice one), ended up buying an E60 Dinan M5.. He figured he could pass that off as a "family car"...
Erik