Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

'05 Ford F450 Unique Box Truck (2x4) GA

Almost didn't post this because I want to pretend like I'm going to buy it, but who am I kidding. Somebody else posted it on ExpoPortal.

$17.5k, 2005, v10, F450, tall, narrow box. Likely former police mobile command unit. Only 14k miles. Looks to be in pretty immaculate shape. Carfax shows 1 owner (in TN) with consistent service records consistent with municipal ownership.

Cool aspects IMO:
- essentially a tall, skinny ambo box: bomber construction, likely 6' interior standing height for us taller folk, not as wide as the normal ambo boxes.
- V10, none of the modern diesel issues
- nice pass-through with (possible) locking door
- Onan generator w/ low hours (worth some money to sell at the very least)
- Roof AC unit, shore power hookup, inverter

Bad things IMO:
- DRW: F450 chassis, so this isn't a surprise. Guessing a sterling axle swap could convert over to a SRW setup
- 2x4: i suppose if this were 4x4 it would already be sold for twice the price... bonus is that it's on the truck chassis, so 4x4 swap would be easier than a van
- Don't see an hour meter on the truck to know how long it has idled
- manual windows, probably no cruise control?

nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #2

Correct, manual cab all around. No PW, cruise or any of the creature comforts.

But....wow, super low mileage, tall box, etc. That is a great start for someone.

Find a wrecked 4x4 F250/350 donor and rob all the goodies from the cab and the 4x parts and you've got a phenomenal overland rig for 20k or less if you did the work yourself.

Wish I had the time! That's just 3 hours from me.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #3

Solution for single-ing out a dually: https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-w...1769-4884.html
Old 04-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #4

Wow, the nuclear option. I wonder what they want for that?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Solution for single-ing out a dually: https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-w...1769-4884.html
Isn't swapping the drw axle for a sterling 10.5 an option as well? I've seen a few people do this on their ambo builds, i believe. Obviously you'd have to verify weight capacities of axles and tires... But I'd think that this truck and a van-based ambo would have similar axle/vehicle weight ratings.
Santa Cruz, CA
Old 04-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #6

No really. The sterling is a light duty axle. It comes in 6400# and 7200# variants. Frame width is narrower on the F450 so there would be more tube outboard of the spring perched, causing even more flex.

A 2005 might “only” have a Dana 80 @ 11k RAWR but many have the S1150 which is a 13k axle.

This box truck build out as an expedition rig will probably have 8k on the rear axle empty. And far more if you hitch up a trailer.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
No really. The sterling is a light duty axle. It comes in 6400# and 7200# variants. Frame width is narrower on the F450 so there would be more tube outboard of the spring perched, causing even more flex.

A 2005 might “only” have a Dana 80 @ 11k RAWR but many have the S1150 which is a 13k axle.

This box truck build out as an expedition rig will probably have 8k on the rear axle empty. And far more if you hitch up a trailer.
Ahh, ok. That makes sense and is good to know for future options... Has anybody ever head what buckstop charges for their super single conversions? I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that it's in the $5k range, but i don't think that includes the bumper and other non-tire components that they appear to be advertising as a kit.

The truck sold today - I was in GA helping out another member with their solar install and figured I'd swing by to check it out, lady said that the buyer was picking it up this week. She claimed it sold for the asking price.