Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Update: Here are some pics.

Definitely some rust. Hard to tell if frame/etc has been painted to cover it up (see coils - inside vs. outside). Some sections for sure look that way. Would love a second opinion.

Also! Thanks for any advice... been silently on these forums for a long time but actually getting serious about purchasing a van for conversion. Appreciate all you folks on the forums and your knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7482.jpg   IMG_7492.jpg   IMG_7498.jpg   IMG_7502.jpg  

akonachute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #12

If there are bubbles showing up in the panel, then theres probably rust in a lot more places. It does look like they tried covering up some of the surface stuff (and maybe more severe stuff) by painting underneath.

You might also want to take up BrianW on taking a good look at it if you're still interested.

You have to ask yourself whether it's worth the discount to buy something with rust. I would say 99% of Californians will steer clear of any vehicle with rust. So unless you plan on keeping this van until you can no longer drive, I would think about your potential exit strategy from this van if you ever have to sell it.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #13

Frame patina is common in the NE and is nothing to be overly concerned about IMO. I proactively painted my last two vans with rust inhibiting paint and plan to do my new 2011 at some point. It’s pretty easy to tell if it’s deep, flaking rust vs just surface patina that comes with age.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #14

akonachute! Another SF member comes out of hiding!

The paint bubbles on the fender are the onmes that are of concern. The shocks and the radiator lower support visible look to be worse than I like. I am guessing the underhood pictures would show similar rust.

As BrianW said, patina/light surface rust on the frame, driveshaft. exhaust is to be expected to some level. I would be interested in seeing the wheel well sheet metal, rocker panel surfaces and lots of shots of the floor under from the underside.

Maybe a thorough video tour. At some point looking under the carpet inside.

W virus conditions today, I certainly would not be hopping on a plane for this without lots more eyes or views by BrianW.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #15

Thank you all for the 2 cents it's much appreciated.

Conflicted on this one. The rust even if not that bad def scares me. Kinda goes back to Mikracer's comment -- worried about me selling it in the future. I need a stable first van that i can slowly build up vs a unicorn thats fighting rust.

1dr definitely not hopping on a plane for this one which is another issue. Long distant car buying in the age of covid is not easy hah

BrianW gonna think on it. I'll pm you if moving forward.

For the benefit of others here is the full photo gallery from the small dealership -- https://photos.app.goo.gl/nJ6DieW89dEYWwHm7

Axle is C4 = 3.73 LSD
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #16

I might buy this from an individual but I most definitely would not from a dealership. They could be the nicest Mom n Pop shop out there but they are still in the business of turning cars for profit. This means they will mask stuff. Also, and Brian can attest to this, to them it's 'no big deal'. NE folks are used to rust. If it doesn't have dangling parts or piles of rust dust under it it's not bad to most of them.

I see pretty deep pitting on the Quigley components. I would want REALLY good pictures of the rain gutter, especially at the upper corners of the windshield. I would want some carpet pulled around the doghouse to verify no floor pan rust. It hides on the nicest of rust belt vans. I would look at the sheetmetal folds/seams inside the bottom of the doors. ALL of the doors. Rust likes those spots. I would want a spark plug or two pulled to see how rusty they are. Water likes to get in the holes on modular engines. I've seen some REALLY rusty which also tells you they weren't changed probably ever.

I have risked several vehicles on sight unseen buys from PA, IL, MI and a couple of other places. These days I won't touch em. As a left coaster you'll likely be appalled.

Sorry my opinion isn't all roses but I would not buy this van unless close enough to go over it personally and decide whether not I could handle the problems. Brian knows these vans and will give you the straight story but get ready for a surprise or two.

Having done it a few times I wouldn't do it again.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #17

If the van is still around when I get home this weekend I'll try to make time to look at it and give another opinion. The dealer is about 30 min from me and even closer to my mother's house.

Bearing in mind - we in the rust belt can have a different definition of "rusty" than some of y'all out in the southwest.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #18

Dang, that looks identical to my van except my interior is grey.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #19

Just want to say thanks to this forum. Ended up getting something local to the west coast. Really appreciate all the help and considerations.

Found a one owner clean 2014 E350 RB V10 6.8 🤘

Hope someone can still snag this one over on the east coast.