Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #11

Re: 1988 Ford SMB EB PH top only

While the new CCV low profile roof looks good I'm still not sure. I would have to see one in person, and since he has only installed one or two that might be hard.

My first choice would still be a VW Eurovan Weekender (not the campmobile style) top complete with the metal roof part welded and bonded to my roof, but I still can't find one. I don't want it for a bed as we have a queen plus size bed in our van and its only the two of us. I just want it for the extra head room in front of the bed and for ventilation. The VW ones are super low profile, more aerodynamic, high quality and go up and down in a matter of seconds. I would build a low profile fiberglass solar panel mount in front (and rear possibly) of it so it looks like it was made for the Ford.

My better half really likes the looks of the SMB tops when they are closed and she likes that they go straight up unlike the VW top that is a Vee style.

I would go for a fixed roof as I think they would be fine for us, but that's an absolute no from her.

Sometimes I think I might go for a GTRV top as I like some of the features and I think they look good open, but they are so low profile that I feel they intrude on the interior when closed. And when closed they just don't have that look of a pop top something that defines Sportsmobiles even ones with a home built interior.

All of these things bring me back to building one with all of the feature I / we want I guess.
Someday maybe, the biggest problem is tying the van up as we us it all the time. We would have it converted to 4x4 by now if we didn't use it so much... Maybe its time to get a second van...

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote