Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 12:35 AM   #1
Gone Traveling

1994 E350 Econoline 4WD Van, under 140k miles Sportsmobile

1994 E350 Econoline 4WD Van, under 140k miles Sportsmobile On Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Expedition-Ready-Off-Grid-4x4-Camper-Van/333882464776?

tomsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:54 AM   #2

Looks nicely done. But wow, $55k for a 1994 [emoji15]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

Has anyone here on the forums purchased a van through ebay? If so, did you go in person to check it out first? Curious how safe purchasing from ebay for such a big ticket item is.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raihnman View Post
Has anyone here on the forums purchased a van through ebay? If so, did you go in person to check it out first? Curious how safe purchasing from ebay for such a big ticket item is.
I've bought through eBay twice now. Contract is mostly to buyers benefit. You should have an independent inspection performed on your own. You can back out if vehicle isn't up to standard but you need to work together so no one is screwed.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I've bought through eBay twice now. Contract is mostly to buyers benefit. You should have an independent inspection performed on your own. You can back out if vehicle isn't up to standard but you need to work together so no one is screwed.
Okay. Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #6

I won an auction for a SMB on eBay a few years back. Seller (used car dealer) represented it as “no rust” and with no issues. When I went to pick it up I found that it definitely had rust and a few other issues. I wanted to back out due to this but the seller pointed to the clause in the ad that “seller is not liable for any misrepresentations” and that I could back out but lose my $1000 deposit. We argued back and forth and ended up splitting it and I was still out $500. It was my bad for not looking at it before bidding (it was somewhat local), but also he flat out lied saying no rust.

Another forum member ended up buying it when it was relisted, but he had the benefit of me sending him notes on everything I observed on the van so he had full disclosure.

The takeaway: always pay for an inspection if possible, unless you have very good reason to trust the seller. I’d be inclined to trust an actual full-line dealer (not just an independent used car dealer) or well-established RV dealer that has a reputation to uphold. You could also ask here on the forum if anyone is local and can check it out. I’ve done that for two people in the past.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #7

I bought my van on ebay sight unseen. But it only had 5,000 miles on it. However, the dealer did put in writing if there was anything that I wasn't happy with, not only would he give me my deposit back he would pay for my return flight home. You don't see that kind of honesty any more.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #8

Based on the comments it is possible to find a good deal on ebay but some good due diligence will help make the deal a safer for the buyer. This is good to know when I am ready to purchase. It gives me one more place to search.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Typically especially with a "used car" on eBay if you complain directly to them with facts, photos etc etc any deposit you made would be refunded. I'm sure they're aware misrepresentations or missed facts are quite common and they want buyers to return and recommend their site.

As a seller of high end guitar amplifiers when PayPal became the only way to receive money I stopped selling there. Sadly eBay even back then would give benefit of doubt to buyers, you could be out your item and money too.

I don't imagine too much has changed over the past few years.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
Orv

Garage
I had a weird experience from the seller end once. I sold a '72 Saab on eBay. It was a runner but rough, and had some issues that made it not suitable for driving long distances. The guy planned to have a transporter pick it up. He paid me, I sent him the title...and then he stopped responding to my emails and letters. I no longer had title so it didn't legally belong to me and I couldn't do anything with it. Eventually I had to abandon it when I moved.

Tags
e350, econoline, sportsmobile