Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

1997 BornFree 4X4 Ford RV - $32500

No affiliation

http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/4941427860.html

CUSTOM BUILT - ONE OF A KIND. This brute will take you down the "roads less traveled" on a Ford authorized 4 wheel drive platform by Quigley Motors. The 4 inch lift at all four wheels, Rancho adjustable shocks in front and Bilsteins on the rear, Michelin XPS T/R Traction radials ($2,000) and short rear overhang will safely get you into campsites no other RV can attempt to reach. It is the perfect base camp for extended backcountry explorations. This rig is solid and safe with a full internal roll cage built into its all fiberglass body. In addition to the factory tow package, it has multiple tow hooks front and rear, 1.5 inch IPD rear sway bar, front AND rear 2 inch receiver hitches for use with your portable winch, bike rack or boat trailer maneuvering. The Triton V-10 is smooth and has plenty of power to climb the steepest of hills or cruise at 75mph on the road. Custom leather captain seats are super comfortable. The short 21 foot length maneuvers in parking lots or on narrow dirt roads with the ease of a large pickup truck. The rear door provides great visibility while backing into tight spaces and has an electric step for access. The one piece fiberglass roof is in excellent condition. A large roof rack holds kayaks or a canoe.

It is fully self contained and sleeps 4 adults comfortably while still providing tremendous storage. On several occasions, my family of four has traveled/lived for a month at a time in this rig. It has everything you need and nothing more! A large 4kw Onan Emerald series generator (only 410 hrs) uses LPG from an oversize 29 gallon LPG tank, saving your gasoline for back-country driving.

Amenities include microwave/convection oven, toaster oven, two burner gas cooktop, built in Culligan water filter system, 40 gallon fresh water tank, 6 gal LPG water heater, large 6.3 Cu Ft Norcold two way refrigerator with separate freezer, 13,500 BTU air conditioner w/heat strip, Surburban ducted forced air furnace with thermostat, powered FanTastic roof fan, stainless steel sinks, flush toilet, hot shower, 3 fire extinguishers and a killer sound system with sub woofer. Built in CB radio. The coach has two LIFELINE Marine 6 volt, deep cycle sealed AGM batteries providing 1500 cca. Engine battery is a new Sears Platinum AGM sealed battery providing 930 cca . Outside is a large 8'x10' A&E awning - in excellent condition - for sun shade/rain protection. Has an outdoor shower for the adventurous types.

Comes with a ton of extras if you want them: new spare tire and wheel, water hook up accessories, oil and filters, toilet chemicals, several water filters, trickle chargers for both batteries, folding table, small high output air compressor for tire inflation/bead seating, tire repair kit, leveling blocks, full size mounted shovel, telescoping tree saw, 30K tow strap, lots of small spare parts.

This rig has always been garaged but comes with a cover in case you need it. It has been meticulously maintained including a recent trip to the Quigley factory in Pennsylvania for suspension tune-up and alignment.

Firm Price - Serious Inquiries Only. Cash Only - No Trades. Email me with your phone number.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: 1997 BornFree 4X4 Ford RV - $32500

"...with a full internal roll cage built into its all fiberglass body..." Interesting.

Seems a bit pricey IMO, though I don't think I've ever seen one of these before.

Herb
Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
"...with a full internal roll cage built into its all fiberglass body..." Interesting.

Seems a bit pricey IMO, though I don't think I've ever seen one of these before.

Herb

Add says custom built one of a kind.. If only it had a 7.3..
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

I can't say whether this one is different, but one of Born Free's "things" is that they have some sort of internal roll-bar in the structure. So that part is likely Born Free standard construction.

From what I know, they have a structural frame with fiberglass panels hung on it. What I mean is that the fiberglass is not the "structure," at least as I understand it, but more like a siding.

I considered buying one at one point in time so looked into them a bit (so I may be wrong on some details).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenrietta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Herb

Add says custom built one of a kind.. If only it had a 7.3..
Then I wouldn't buy it! I bet that V10 does just fine, and shares a tank with a quiet Onan generator too. That rig looks great. I typically don't like Born Free styling, but with the black wheels and a little lift I think that one looks great. Would make a sweet do it all camper for a family with that upper (and lower) bed too.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Looks great to me....I'd happily travel in that thing. Way overkill for a childless couple and their dogs....but man....we'd be comfortable.

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair
Looks great to me....I'd happily travel in that thing. Way overkill for a childless couple and their dogs....but man....we'd be comfortable.

BB
My two grandchildren would fill the extra space quite nicely. They just need to get a bit older.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

Damn! That's a nice rig! I looked extensively into getting a larger rig for the growing family like a small C for instance and Born Free is one of the best built C's on the road. Price is spot on with the 4 wheel drive conversion, lift, shocks, tires, etc.

You are correct that the roll cage is part of their normal construction. It was rated the absolute safest C on the road b/c of it. Solid fiberglass roof would eliminate a lot of the traditional C type maintenance (roof coatings every 5 years, etc).

Haven't seen one quite like this one before. Most on the market currently are $25k to $40k for good condition used models.

The only thing I could do w/o would be the rear entry but I guess it is a trade off for the short length. Most side entries are 24 to 26 ft models. I'd be all over this one if we were in the market.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
Solid fiberglass roof would eliminate a lot of the traditional C type maintenance (roof coatings every 5 years, etc).
If it consoles you at all (since it sounds like you'd like it but it's not feasible at the moment), while the roof is made of fiberglass, it is not "solid" (depending on how you define solid) in that it is made up of several panels with seams (as are the sides). (But maybe by solid you mean hard fiberglass even if not one piece.)

I really liked some Born Frees that I looked at but somewhat regretfully ended up deciding to go with something else due to the seams/potential leaks. I did call the factory and they mentioned that they improved the way they sealed the seams (or something about how they put them together; forget the details) in around 2008; but that was newer than I wanted to go. They do have some very appealing features, and this one looks nifty.

The rear door does allow a "bigger" (more efficient) living area in 21' length, but I agree a side door is really nice. Both for feeling close to the outdoors and accessing storage, etc.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #10

Viva, what did you get instead?

True on those seams, I just meant the fiberglass would probably hold up longer than the TPO and rubber roof models as long as the seams were sealed properly. Also, from what I understand in talking with others, you wouldn't want it completely one piece either b/c it would stress other parts of the shell while driving with it shifting around all over the place. I assume you would want a little play in the roof.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote