Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2023, 09:32 AM   #11

Oh, I have no intention of bidding on it. I've already got one white whale sitting in my driveway that I don't have time to work on. I definitely don't need another one. I'm just curious about what the seller thinks it's worth.

If/when I do a 4WD conversion on my van, it'll be part of a complete nut/bolt tear down and rebuild along with an engine swap. Every part of it will be new or refurbished. But that won't happen for quite a while. I have numerous projects ahead of that one.

IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #12

Chris at Ujoint used to have a detailed account of the problems he had to correct on a Javier/Crow’s van. Some of them were downright scary. I’m not sure if it’s still on his site, but if memory serves, it was a red EB.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #13

What's frustrating is that between the labor and parts, they are clearly able to execute. However that is then compromised by some choices that really didn't save that much cost.

That said, if you're willing to live with an older, higher mileage van and can accept some level of janky, these things can be put into service. Just don't pay the same amount you would for one done to a higher standard.

If you plan on using one in snow, check that they got the front drive shaft angles right, or used a double cardan. For trail use that's actually not that big a deal.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:45 AM   #14

This is scary!

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ail-17498.html
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker44 View Post
Yes, scary, but also, huh. That looks like a relocated track bar to work with a top mount drag link. That almost seems like too much effort for them. Mine, and every other one I've seen uses the stock f-series ball joint for the track bar. Even this e-bay listed one looks like it does.

That doesn't mean anything though, there are plenty of examples where they did clearly experiment with some other variations. However that failed track bar mount is not their standard approach.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:07 AM   #16

So... Reserve not met with a high bid of $30,100.

I wonder if the mileage scared most bidders away.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:35 AM   #17

Looks like they're trying again:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13447967737...&segname=11011
Old 03-08-2023, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
So... Reserve not met with a high bid of $30,100.

I wonder if the mileage scared most bidders away.
I don't think it will. Sadly, there are a lot of people who think buying a 7.3l at any mileage is a solid plan due to all of the 'million mile motor' myth. And it is a myth. It's a great motor but it certainly isn't maintenance free and I wouldn't want one over about 150k without thorough knowledge of it's history.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I don't think it will. Sadly, there are a lot of people who think buying a 7.3l at any mileage is a solid plan due to all of the 'million mile motor' myth. And it is a myth. It's a great motor but it certainly isn't maintenance free and I wouldn't want one over about 150k without thorough knowledge of it's history.
I can imagine. My van with 200K+ miles has the 7.3 IDI engine which seems to have a similar reputation. And now mine doesn't want to start and I'm not sure if it's a problem with the engine or something to do with the hacked up wiring from the previous owner (that causes the batteries to drain within a couple of days if not kept on a charger). When it does start, it runs and drives fine - just with expected lethargic performance. 0-60 time measured with a sun dial.

But for the price I paid for the van - and it being rust-free in PA, I can accept some issues to sort out - when I am eventually home long enough to do something...
Old 03-13-2023, 06:52 AM   #20

High Bid of $25K, reserve still not made, with one day to go.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e350