Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Garage
1999 Ford Born Free 4x4

Anyone ever heard of this or is it a home build?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262111763930?rm ... noapp=true

Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: 1999 Ford Born Free 4x4

Born Free is a pretty well established builder. Lower volume, higher quality than the better known brands. They are generally solid units. Really, the one I dislike about them is all their coaches have really long overhangs! It would be nice if they went to the next wheelbase longer, across the board.

4x4 system look like a U-Joint Offload package, and the description also states that.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Not much additional info, but it was posted on ExPo... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ras-custom
Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #4

There have been a few BornFree 4x conversions here and on Expo that were beautiful, one was a shorter one, maybe 23 or so? Anyway, they are high quality units but I just can't get past how they frame the door and under storage boxes (square vs. the body). It just throws the lines off to me. I've still had my eye out for one of the shorter ones though. Also, IMO this is a good example of how a big white camper needs some kind of graphics or wrap to break up all that white. You can clearly see the ribs beneath this one and it looks a lot worse than some stripes or something.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Born Free is one of the highest quality Class C builds available.

This one looks completely custom though and strays from the traditional look since they stripped the graphics and seem to have redone or re-glazed the fiberglass. It looks in great shape but again, fully customized so not sure who can vouch for the work.

I looked at these for a long time and never saw a layout like this one. That is also not Born Free's interior for that year. I think it was fully customized using the Born Free as a shell or starting point.

All in all, it seems to be a reasonable price for the work done. This unit looks like a cheaper Earth Roamer in it's current state.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

^^^^ Yep... has rod holders in front and is likely a saltwater fishing rig, yet underside is mint... hmmm... rework everywhere
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #7

Am I blind or is the mileage not listed in the ad? If not, would something like this ever sell without disclosing that kind of detail?

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote