Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

2000, 4x4, 7.3, hard top smb. Only 16k

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4442714799.html

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

Re: 2000, 4x4, 7.3, hard top smb. Only 16k

is there any reason why no one has jumped on this, Im seriously considering, as it would be my first smb, can anyone talk me out of this rig? Is there something a newbie is missing?
johnjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

New link:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4461022614.html

It's just a trimmed out van. There is no PH, no hard top, no chair swivels*, no fridge, cold water only- there is basically a pedestal sink and folding bench. The privacy curtains are fabric with snaps. I'm guessing there is no heater and no toilet.

It's kind of a quarter step above a stock chateau (at least inside), the little it does give you to build on might get in your way. Then again if you aren't looking to add hot water, fridge, battery, closets, top, etc. then it's nice for a cargo van with a sink and a bed.

So that's my guess why it hasn't been snapped up, at least by this crowd. If I were a 20-year younger dirtbag climber who wanted a stealth van? It'd be beautiful. All depends on what you want.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

It looks nice, but I wouldn't say it's a steal. With 236k and no pop top or full camper floor plan I would value it a little less than say, a 50 floorplan.
Also look for rust.
It's a great looking van. I would try to negotiate down a little.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I missed that. At some point the 7.3L is no longer "just getting broke in". I know that's tantamount to sacrilege, but if you figure you can get to 300K without major issues, then this is on the wrong side of middle age for a 7.3L plus all those other components have 236,000 miles...
Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #6

Now I am seriously reconsidering.

Having spoke with them, I dont think the sellers will come down very much. I like the notoriety that the 7.3 gets, however, I do hope to upgrade to hot water, solar, ph, refer, all the aluminess a guy could want and swivel chairs! but as I said before, I am a newbie to these rigs, Im a syncro convert! Any body have a ball park number on the rough cost of those upgrades minus the aluminess? I have high hopes for this rig but dont wanna regret the purchase.

One moe question anyone ever work with bob hewitt? powerstrokehelp.com, he has a nice quote for total engine rebuild.
johnjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

The van looks really well kept, but hard to tell with the lousy pics. Have you asked them what maintenance items have been covered? It's about due for a transmission I'd say. If they have kept up the maintenance on the drivetrain it still might not be a bad deal. That could be the reason for their price. I wouldn't give up before investigating further.

Did I mention to look for rust?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjames
Now I am seriously reconsidering.

Having spoke with them, I dont think the sellers will come down very much. I like the notoriety that the 7.3 gets, however, I do hope to upgrade to hot water, solar, ph, refer, all the aluminess a guy could want and swivel chairs! but as I said before, I am a newbie to these rigs, Im a syncro convert! Any body have a ball park number on the rough cost of those upgrades minus the aluminess? I have high hopes for this rig but dont wanna regret the purchase.

One moe question anyone ever work with bob hewitt? powerstrokehelp.com, he has a nice quote for total engine rebuild.

Poptop is going to be around 5k from SMB if not mistaken. Hot water and solar I'd say add another 2.5k unless doing it yourself. I would add propane if it were me.. I'd say if you could get all those upgrades done and still be under 25k you would be in good shape.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

I think a pop top is around the $7-$8k range. You could add the house batteries yourself and if you didnt care about the fridge being in a cabinet, you could get an Engle or ARB fridge and put it off to the side. Not sure about water heater or adding propane, but seeing as how there aren't any appliances for propane, it might not be needed. You could remove that extra captains chair and add a stove and fridge there though.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #10

Rust.... Rust... Rust and Trans, Vacuum pump, would be my only concerns just install a fiberine top, fender flares, propane, diff tires/wheels and keep the transformer style interior call it DONE! I don't think you would have a problem flipping later if you wanted to upgrade, hell if I was the seller I would dump about 5k into it and then ask for 30k+

Easy sell!! Buy it!!
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote