Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

2000 Dodge Ram 135k Miles for $9500

I really want to join the Sportsmobile family, and this seems like a perfect starter for me. The only issue is that I live in Texas, and I am worried someone else is going to get to this deal before me. Is this deal as good as I think? It kind of seems too good to be true compared to what else is currently on the market.

Do y'all think I should try to view the van, or just wait till I find a similar deal here in Texas?

https://southbend.craigslist.org/rvs...550747041.html

BeHereNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

Welcome.

It certainly looks like a fair deal to me!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #3

Be careful posting vans you find and are thinking about buying. I’m in the market to buy also......I’d hate for someone else to scoop up your deal.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

Yeah I figured that was a risk, but he said he already has a few people scheduled to view it anyway.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 AM   #5

That's a good price on what looks to be a very clean van. I'm guessing if you aren't already "in line" then it's going to sell out from under you. In instances like this, if you really want it and feel comfortable, you might considering making an immediate offer at slightly over the asking price. Sometimes the seller will take the "sure thing" and not deal with tire-kickers. Although, if someone is interested locally, if I were the seller I'd always go with that option first to avoid hassles.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #6

He sold it today. Said he was getting swamped with calls. O well, hopefully a good deal turns up in Texas soon.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

Garage
What Lazy_Daves and BrianW said is spot-on:

----> If you're truly interested in a rig that appears to be a great deal...don't post it for others to act upon! Act on it yourself when you see a great deal! Make the phone call. Get a conversation going with the seller. Ask questions. Get in there. Get in line for the van as soon as you first become aware of it.

If you are craving the perspective of the SMB forum community ---- perhaps PM a couple members on here (ones whose opinion you value) and ask their private, off-the-record thoughts of it.

Many of us have posted (here on the forum) links to tons of "found listings" for interesting/promising-looking vans for sale.....but we do so only because we **don't have any intention of pursuing them ourselves** (and yet we hope that someone here on the forum buys them....and then they'll start a thread on here where they post lots of pictures of the van....so we can live vicariously through them ....)

Just keep skimming the listings and you'll start to develop a sharper and sharper sense of what's a deal and what isn't.

Stay on it! Your van is out there.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

@beherenow, just so you know, you have to act very quickly on decently priced SMBs. I mean very quickly. There are many, many folks here who occasionally flip a good deal though we aren't necessarily 'flippers'. We just know these things and how quickly and simply they sell and how much they can make very easily.
Many SMBs sell sight unseen and this one was cheap enough to have probably sold that way.

As Mike said above, keep looking! If you see a really good deal PM someone here instead of posting. Also remember everyone is jumping on the #vanlife bandwagon which makes it harder. If you really like Dodge vans Pntyrmvr is our resident expert here.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

FWIW - The Dodge vans don't keep their value like the Fords. Which makes it good for getting into a camper can for cheap.

The reasons are numerous, but I think the biggest one is the lack of aftermarket support. There's no adding 4x4. I'm not sure anybody makes tops for them anymore (the roof was the same for 30+ years, so used donors should be easy to find). There's not much you can do to improve the powertrain. It also isn't as long-lasting of a powertrain and compared to the Tritons, is old tech, but I wouldn't be scared of it with that few miles.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #10

Those Dodge 318 engines seem to last forever, though!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote