Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 Sportsmobile RB50 4x4

Not mine, no affiliation

------------------------------

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3568985024.html

2002 Sportsmobile RB50 4X4 with the last year of the trusty 7.3 Diesel. House heat and hot water have been upgraded to run off diesel instead of propane. Upgraded 16 gal water tank with new water pump. In dash and flip down TV's. Aluminess rear bumper with tire swing and deluxe storage box. Aluminess ladder. Pop top sleeper for two adults and couch folds down for two more adults. Air compressor. Warn 1200 pound winch. Fridge and microwave. New tires and brakes. Fox Racing Shox with external reservoir in all four corners. New Diamond eye exhaust from header back. New down pipes for turbo. Check out Sportsmobile website to see all the basic details I'm leaving out. The RB50 platform is the most popular and is similar in design to a VW Westfalia. Please call or text with questions, I don't check email often at all. 122k miles. $52k

Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #2

Wonder why it hasn't sold yet. It's been listed so many times.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Re: 2002 Sportsmobile RB50 4x4

Because it has a 1200lb winch of course.

Personally, I think the price is a bit optimistic. The ad doesn't specify, but I'm thinking this must be a Quigley 4x4 conversion since I don't believe SMB did their own 4x4 conversion until 2003. Also, contrary to what the ad states, Ford did have the 7.3L in 2003.

Herb
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Personally, I think the price is a bit optimistic. The ad doesn't specify, but I'm thinking this must be a Quigley 4x4 conversion since I don't believe SMB did their own 4x4 conversion until 2003.

Herb
I Like it! If i would´t have one i would be interested in. Ok i think it is not his last price ?....
What against Quigley? There are o lot of them on the road without issius!

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Team

I did not imply anything against Quigley. When the ad states 4x4 and Sportsmobile, many people assume the 4 wheel drive conversion was performed by Sportsmobile, while in many cases it was just the pop-top and/or interior conversion being performed by Sportsmobile. There are a number of 4x4 conversion companies out there, and in my opinion, For Sale ads should clearly state which company performed the conversion. Some people don't care, some people do care, some people care very much and will only look at specific conversion companies.

Herb
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

@BroncoHauler sorry it was a missunderstanding....my english is not so well

lets
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Personally, I think the price is a bit optimistic. The ad doesn't specify, but I'm thinking this must be a Quigley 4x4 conversion since I don't believe SMB did their own 4x4 conversion until 2003. Also, contrary to what the ad states, Ford did have the 7.3L in 2003.

Herb
It's rare but there were instances where a very low mileage 7.3 was brought back when smb was doing their own 4x4 according to Peter at smb
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer

"Without issues" may be a stretch. Once bushings and what-not wear out, a Quigley's road manners can deteriorate enough to cause complaints. It can get bad enough to make it nearly un-drivable on the highway. Newer ones don't seem to have these drivability problems, but that era Quigley and older was the source of many threads on many forums. If this particular van hasn't had some of the newer updates, anybody test driving it may be turned off.

Also, Quigley's don't like to be modified. Once you start lifting them to add more travel, its easy to introduce other problems. Quigley is great for bad weather and forest roads, and its also the most affordable factory-approved conversion. It just has its limitations, and other conversion may be better for some conditions and owners. However those others (i.e. QuadVan and SMB) can cost quite a bit more.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:

"Without issues" may be a stretch. Once bushings and what-not wear out, a Quigley's road manners can deteriorate enough to cause complaints. It can get bad enough to make it nearly un-drivable on the highway. Newer ones don't seem to have these drivability problems, but that era Quigley and older was the source of many threads on many forums. If this particular van hasn't had some of the newer updates, anybody test driving it may be turned off.

Also, Quigley's don't like to be modified. Once you start lifting them to add more travel, its easy to introduce other problems. Quigley is great for bad weather and forest roads, and its also the most affordable factory-approved conversion. It just has its limitations, and other conversion may be better for some conditions and owners. However those others (i.e. QuadVan and SMB) can cost quite a bit more.
If you speak from the death wobble problem, what are the reasons for this????
Maybe the approach to a bad/non maintenance in the states? (sorry guys)
I just can say that all (only few) Quigleys i know here in europe and also no F-series I know here had never problems with death wooble or something like this. I think it is because we have to go every 2 years to a really hard check with our cars (TÜV) and they will not give you the permission to drive it any more if there is something just a little worn out.
And it can not be a spring suspension thing because there are a lot of them out there completely modified and well running
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:

I like my 2002 chevy quigley with IFS 4x4. Has 133K miles with very little suspension maintenance thats been done, if any ( I just bought it). I've never experienced any of the problems you mentioned and I drove it from IL to TX with bad lower ball joints. It rides great - nice and smooth. No complaints from the wife either.