Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #11

The guy is a professional motorcycle racer and used the van to travel to races. He says he has detailed service records for it and all service intervals have been maintained.

Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguy View Post
I asked about the AWD aspect in the 4x4 subforum and looks like the transfer case is a Borg Warner 4473 and was told that is a single speed chain driven unit.
I did a quick internet search and looks like it is a fluid coupled transfer case. Interesting...
Old 11-09-2020, 03:16 AM   #13

I replied over there. I'm not sure whether you're saying that chain-driven and fluid-coupled are mutually exclusive, i.e., that the t-case is one or the other?

I'm pretty sure it's both. The t-case is driven by a chain, but the torque split to the front and rear driveshafts is actuated via a viscous coupler that fits to the t-case.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #14

I was mostly clarifying my understanding. I was thinking that it was a positive connection front to back. I did not even know that fluid coupling was a thing with transfer cases but it does make sense.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #15

If the mechanicals have been kept up they are reliable. Just watch out for rust. Especially in snow/salt country. That band of black at the bottom is a tell tale sign of rocker rust and covering it up. It may not matter to you, but you want to at least be aware of the condition, especially when paying a premium for the van. Rockers and bottoms of the doors are all weak spots for rust.
dleeallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #16

Yes there is rust there. He sent me some good pics of those areas and underneath. That was a factor in negotiations.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #17

Update. I got covid and had to cancel my trip. Van is back on the market.