Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #1

2003 Sportsmobile - $48,000

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/long-beach-2003-sportsmobile/7427524568.html

Not mine just sharing!

Nathandeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:37 AM   #2

$48k for a 2wd 2003 SMB with 130k miles. Wow. It has the 7.3 engine, but still…

Gotta love California!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't know, a clean RB50 with a fridge, microwave, water? Comvert it to 4x4 and youve got a nice rig for less than $75k, hardly unheard of anywhere across the country these days.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I don't know, a clean RB50 with a fridge, microwave, water? Comvert it to 4x4 and youve got a nice rig for less than $75k, hardly unheard of anywhere across the country these days.
I have to agree. In this market, for that van (clean, last of the 7.3's, can't be replaced) I think it's a fair price.

Think of it this way, a few years ago that same van with 4wd would go for about 50k, so it's only $15k more now, the price of the 4wd conversion. There are lots of things nowadays that have gone up WAY more than that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #5

I can side with both perspectives.

However, the inflated prices of vehicles generally speaking is absurd.

...I decided a few years ago that SMBs, and other types of RVs are all overpriced for what they really are, especially the materials they're constructed of (ex: 2003 SMBs particleboard & L brackets)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sportsmobiles, truck campers and many other great recreational/overland vehicles ... but for the tens of thousands of dollars (or sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars) that these vehicles sale for...well, I don't believe they're worth their money at going rates..

If carefully considered and executed one could buy a van platform for much much less, have at least the same quality of materials with fairly similar build features inside as a 20 year old SMB (perhaps minus the poptop) and save half the asking price of a nearly 50k 20 year old van.

I know l know, many will likely disagree, point oit the 7.3 engine or cost of installing a pop-up top or other items ... just thinking outloud...
Stone Cite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cite View Post
I can side with both perspectives.

However, the inflated prices of vehicles generally speaking is absurd.....
I couldn't agree more, generally speaking. IMO this particular ad is kind of an anomaly and I bet it sells within a day or two.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I couldn't agree more, generally speaking. IMO this particular ad is kind of an anomaly and I bet it sells within a day or two.

Agree- thumbs up 👍
Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #8

A low mileage 7.3 van (which this is) can be 10 to 12k.
A new CCV pop top installed is almost $18k. Add in the interior cabs add systems all installed. It's not a bad price.
If you price building a van these days, a base like this one is pretty reasonable.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:05 AM   #9

Hey guys this is my van. Thanks for all the comments. This thing is still for sale. I’ve gotten a lot of people contacting me but no one following through.
RulerZigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RulerZigzag View Post
Hey guys this is my van. Thanks for all the comments. This thing is still for sale. I’ve gotten a lot of people contacting me but no one following through.
Great rig, surprised it hasn't sold already... Spring is just around the corner - expect there will be many more people shopping for rigs...

GLWS !