Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #11

Garage
Does not the rebuilt engine at 133k give you pause? Who did it, reputable shop or DIY? How can you say what it is worth without researching 4x4 system? Is it a CROW, SMB, or DIY? If the engine gone at 133k, why? Misuse? No maintenance, and if so, maybe rest of system are in bad shape. I wonder how we attach value without knowing it? I have so many questions first, and would need a known mechanic give it a good going over first. But then I am new at this.

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

It says replaced, not rebuilt, and it was done a few thousand miles ago, so it’s past the break in/bug period.
I can’t say what it is worth without seeing it, but the van itself, 4x4 (leaf sprung at least), pop top, Aluminess front, rear (with tire carrier and box), and ladder certainly have value.
Only the buyer and seller can determine the actual value.
TheWeezersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #13

yes its worth what someone will pay .
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #14
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
So a van price based on a potential future down market? Oh yeah piece of cake. Let us check our crystal balls.....

With housing prices going up and up and up you might be waiting a long time for the converted van prices to come down. All ages of people live out of them these days. They aren't only for recreation....

One thing that might change is banks may not offer such easy loans on RVs soon. People are carrying a lot of debt.

This is just my observation on vans & people living in them... In the last 3 years I’ve seen more than 650 vans go out the door at CCV. Those that live full time in them, none have been a 70k 4x4 Sportmobile & we put roughly 20-30 tops a year on old SMBs, not to mention yanking out the low quality mdf build & start a new. The most common van I’ve seen people build to live full time in has been the dodge Promaster. Why? My experience has been you can get one used that has been fleet leased for 18k. Do a 15k interior build & you have a place to sleep for under $35k. Far cry from a maintenance heavy diesel @ twice the price. The age demographic has been either Millennials or retired single women doing the snow bird thing... most are financing via credit card or retirement $
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #15

I agree with MSD. 90% of people don't need the 4x4 capabilities. They are on road all the time. Even those with 4x4 may rarely use it. I love the rugged looks of a 4x4 as much as the next guy but don't have a 4x4 van and haven't needed one yet...
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I love the rugged looks of a 4x4 as much as the next guy but don't have a 4x4 van and haven't needed one yet...

But if you can afford one, they sure are fun.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote