Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

Re: 2004 Sportsmobile 4x4 van $50000

Yah, it's a shame but too many folks have had very unhappy experiences with that 6.0. Check out the Yahoo SMB forum on that topic and you'll red some expensive disaster stories.

gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #12

Re: Re: 2004 Sportsmobile 4x4 van $50000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair
if you say so.
Yes the 2003 had both the 7.3 and 6.0 available it was a mid year transition.I was selling them new in 03 and had to attend a factory ride and drive sales training on the new 6.0.

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Our service engineering did a study on rebuilt engine and their manufactures. I do NOT remember the exact number but the failure rate of those engines was much, much higher then OEM engines. Thank goodness that engines in general are very reliable w low failure rates...so much, much higher is still a fairly low failure rate .... unless yours is the one that blows.

I'm not sure what your saying exactly but if your stating that the OEM 6.0L Ford Diesel engine has low failure rates than I would disagree. That is one of the more poorly designed engines Ford has ever built and has one of the worst track records. However their 7.3 International motor was as solid as a rock but was underpowered relative to the competition. The engine that followed the 6.0L had design issues that required the removal of the cab to service the turbo's which made repair and warranty cost astronomical. The verdict is still out on their latest diesel but it looks promising.

Not a Ford hater but their history of late with Diesel engines is spotty. Best bet is the 7.3L International or their most recent offering.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #14

I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers....when you see an add for a sportsmobile with a 6.0 run away as fast as you can!! I was a GM of a local ford dealer for years, that motor has to be fords biggest mistake in the truck industry. I know it cost my region a lot of big fleet accounts but on the upside made my service department lots of money!! The fact that this rig had a knew motor put in should discourage ya.

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote