Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

2005 Ford #350 6.0 Diesel SMB

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... rop-to-45k

I've been looking and found this on the "other board". Any advice on this van as a potential purchase? I have been browsing this forum and others and it seems there may be an issue with 6.0 Diesel? or turbo? I apologize b/c I haven't been taking good notes, but can folks advise me if there are certain engines or years to avoid?

That said, I had not been looking for a diesel and am sure there are many pros/cons and advocates on both sides. Any brief opinions welcome. if this is not the proper place on the forum please redirect.

thanks
Stephanie

catinmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Re: 2005 Ford #350 6.0 Diesel SMB

Aaaah, my all time favorite interior ever! I think that van is posted around here somewhere, with a little blurbiage about the 6.0 diesel (but I can't find it).
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Re: 2005 Ford #350 6.0 Diesel SMB

Stephanie: I'm by no means an expert but here are a few points about the diesels...

The 6.0L replaced the 7.3L diesel so it's in later model Ford vans. Someone else can tell you the model year that they changed......I think early 2000's???

The 7.3 is/was regarded as a great motor; the 6.0 is known to have a few issues possibly related to the EGR valve, maybe turbo, oil/water cooler (experts chime in here) and probably a few other things.........the later 6.0's have most of the issues resolved from the factory and the odds are high that an early version has had some updates due to failures.

A few reasons that people buy the diesel motor is longevity, fuel economy, and loads of torque to pull big trailers.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote