Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

2007 Ford E350 Sportsmobile 4x4

I was in negotiations on this rig from Sportmobile Texas but ended up walking away (my original offer was based on the advertised notion that it was bullet proofed but it turns out it wasn't - they've since ammended the description).

I pulled a carfax and paid to have a mechanic look it over ($150 report) and can offer that info to any interested parties (save you some cash). It looks and sounds like it's a really nice rig! Just a bit too steep for me

DM me if you'd like any additional info…

2007 Ford E350 Sportsmobile 4x4
Price: $74,500
Miles: 49,000
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Seats: 5, Sleeps: 4
Cabinets: Grey
Interior Color: Tan
Interior Height: 6'8"
Top: Penthouse (Power)
Features:
Sportsmobile 4x4, Deaver Springs Upgrade, AEB Lockers Front/Rear, Atlas Transfer Case (4hi/low) Inc 4x4, Front Axle: Dynatrack w/Premium Locking Hubs Inc 4x4, RearAxle: Dynatrack w/ARB Locking Diff, Wheels/Tires 5ARMojave 17"/BFG AT 315/70/R17, Brake: Brakeman Upgraded Brakes, On Board Extreme Air, Custom Pelican Box Ottoman, New Pioneer Nav/AV GPS, Sirius, Premium Sub-woofer, Trip Lite Inverter, Two Solar Panels, Espar Control Panel/Espar Airtronic Furnace, Rear AC, Back up Camera, Sink, Refrigerator, Electric Retracting Side Step, Ravelco Anti Theft System, Hella HID, Awning, Aluminess Safari Rack/Mesh, Aluminess Galley Box, Aluminess Bumpers, Side Ladder.

VIN: 1FDSE34P27DA98496
Owner Kelley
Location Austin

peakbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Bullet Proof?

What does it mean to say someone Bullet Proofed the vehicle?

Was there anything else wrong with this particular vehicle?
SIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Bulletproofing a 6.0l Diesel is a set of steps taken to avoid known issues with these motors. They are excellent, powerful motors with a terrific transmission, but there were several shortcomings as Ford had to push this motor into production.

Bulletpoofing:

Amsoil upgraded oil filter system
Coolant Filter system and perhaps upgraded coolant
Upgraded Head studs.

There could be some more, others know a lot more than I do.

Many of the issues appeared when owners did very heavy towing or used aftermarket tunes and caused too much pressure in the turbo and heads. A 2007 motor would have the updated turbo and have been tuned (or detuned) to avoid some known issues. 2007 with 50k miles is a pretty good bet. I own a 2006 F250 with this motor and have had one somewhat major repair in 115k miles.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

I you listen to the propaganda from BPD in Mesa, AZ you'd think they coined the term but the main thing is coolant filtration and replacing the EGR cooler if you have a 2005-2007. The 2003-2004 coolers are much less prone to failures. But there's a whole litany of things to consider when bullet-proofing a 6.0. FICM, alternator, water pump, head studs, EGR delete or improved cooler, blue spring mod, STC fitting, turbo oil and drain tubes, etc.

This is an excellent write-up. Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLELIFE View Post

@SIMPLELIFE

In regards to, "Was there anything else wrong" from all the photos, discussion and inspection I didn't uncover anything "wrong" with it except:
1. exterior: small scratch on the rear door
2. interior: a couple of minor cosmetics on the interior
2. they suggest flushing the transmission and brake fluid based on visual color
3. ac blows cool, not cold - suggest testing and recharging
4. needs new windshield wipers

Again, I didn't see the vehicle in person so can only report what the third party inspection came back as and how my question/answer session with SMB went via email/picture exchange.
peakbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

That's a decked out rig for sure but still top dollar for being 9 years old. Here's the link: Inventory Details - Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans

It doesn't mention shocks but the Deaver Spring package comes with Bilsteins. From the pics it looks like Elranchos or the like.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
I come from the back ground of never flush a transmission (lots of mechanics will state this too), just drain and change the fluid. Flushing can cause issues with debris loosening after the flush and cause problems with seals and valves in the tranny. My mechanic will not do flushes. Just my 2 cents.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I you listen to the propaganda from BPD in Mesa, AZ you'd think they coined the term but the main thing is coolant filtration and replacing the EGR cooler if you have a 2005-2007. The 2003-2004 coolers are much less prone to failures. But there's a whole litany of things to consider when bullet-proofing a 6.0. FICM, alternator, water pump, head studs, EGR delete or improved cooler, blue spring mod, STC fitting, turbo oil and drain tubes, etc.

This is an excellent write-up. Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
I've pretty much had all this done or some was done and verified with my rig when I bought it. But I still lost my HPOP this weekend out side of Pueblo. The 170 mile tow back to my Mechanic was a bummer, and just added insult to injury .

Upside was I got to drive my Old 7.3 SB that I sold a buddy from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins. I'm really thinking of doing a 7.3 swap…
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I come from the back ground of never flush a transmission (lots of mechanics will state this too), just drain and change the fluid. Flushing can cause issues with debris loosening after the flush and cause problems with seals and valves in the tranny. My mechanic will not do flushes. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed on this. The flush on the 5R110 is pretty complicated anyway. However, the upgrade to the bigger pan and internal filter that comes on the 6.4 powerstroke is a good upgrade.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLELIFE View Post

Here's another resource
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics