Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Site Team

I have a salvage titled 2001 Ford Excursion. No problem getting full insurance coverage for it.

Herb

Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I have a salvage titled 2001 Ford Excursion. No problem getting full insurance coverage for it.

Herb
Was it just a theft recovery vehicle by any chance?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Was it just a theft recovery vehicle by any chance?
Roof was fully caved in after a house collapsed on it from an avalanche. The previous, previous owner ordered a brand new Excursion body and swaped everything over.

Actually, now that I think more about it, it had a Salvage title at one point, but maybe it cleared the Salvage status after the vehicle sold to the owner I bought it from in Arkansas. The Salvage status does still show on Carfax but I'm not sure AAA cares about that. Everything was fully disclosed to me, but with some states not paying much attention to things like this, you can see how it can be fairly simple to "wash" a title.

A salvage title may make financing more challenging too.

Herb
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #14

This thread is chock full of great info and advice. I love it when I drop in this forum and learn something new. I bought a few (cheap) rebuilt titled cars when I was younger so never even thought about full coverage insurance. I've considered a few more since then. Great info and advice above by all.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Roof was fully caved in after a house collapsed on it from an avalanche. The previous, previous owner ordered a brand new Excursion body and swaped everything over.

Actually, now that I think more about it, it had a Salvage title at one point, but maybe it cleared the Salvage status after the vehicle sold to the owner I bought it from in Arkansas. The Salvage status does still show on Carfax but I'm not sure AAA cares about that. Everything was fully disclosed to me, but with some states not paying much attention to things like this, you can see how it can be fairly simple to "wash" a title.

A salvage title may make financing more challenging too.

Herb
Well, that's a cool story haha! The reason I asked is because I know a guy that bought a salvage-title theft recovery Corvette and had no problem getting full coverage. Was thinking maybe it's easier to get full coverage if it's not a crash salvage issue?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 AM   #16

FWIW Here's my .02

Dealerships won't touch a salvage title vehicle. If a seedy car salesman runs from a salvage/rebuilt title vehicle, well, there's your sign.

Just an FYI on salvage titles, insurance companies will do almost anything to keep from paying out on a policy. I had a 2014 Subaru Forester that I crashed hard in 2015. Allstate spent $19,600 repairing a $21,000 vehicle, the whole front end had to be cut off. Within a week it was having electrical problems and gremlins started popping up. When I traded it in, the VIN showed it had been in an accident, when asked, I told the dealer it was just a little fender bender. They took it in on trade.
Point of the story is, it takes a lot to have a newer vehicle considered totaled. You will only make money on a rebuild project if you cut corners. Period.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote