Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #11

Garage
East coast, it can get hot and humid from May thru September, it’s not uncommon to have rain for 2 days straight which makes it pretty rough. I’ve lived in LA, Phoenix, Cincinnati, Maine and now in North Carolina. They are all quite different. I’m not knocking vans, I had a great time in mine, there is nothing better than to pull over and climb in the back for a nap. For me I just need more room in case I get stuck inside from weather.

4x4Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #12

Looks really nice (color coordinated top and bottom) but...$150k??!! I can buy a 3BR 2BA in NC on 1/2 acre for that. Granted, it wouldn't be nearly as fun but that RAM doesn't have a scratch on it so how much fun has it really been?
DonnaDevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
KDB

Did somebody say space? Not all vans lack it. In my experience having owned a pop top for a tacoma and having spent time in other poptops...they're not that spacious. Perhaps the Ford F450 model is but that's a larger platform in general and will inherently have a lot more space. Not really a pound for pound comparison there.
Attached Thumbnails
20201203_165336.jpg   20201203_194648.jpg  
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #14
Orv

Garage
The price doesn't seem that ridiculous given that you can easily get a pickup alone up to $70K or more once you've added a few options. Good truck campers aren't cheap either, and the cheap ones aren't worth having. Keep in mind a camper has to provide all its own self-contained structure to keep it rigid when it's on the jacks.

I looked at pickup campers before buying my van. The biggest difference to me is you don't have access to the cab area in a camper. Some people don't use it in a van either, but with swivel seats it can become an additional seating area and open up the interior a bit. Stuff that could go under the van, like tankage, also cuts into your interior space on a camper.

A camper is nice if you need a pickup truck anyway, and have space to store it while it's off the truck, though. I park my van on the street and take it out every couple weeks on average, so that wasn't a good option for me, but I've known a lot of people who used a pickup camper only during hunting season and stored it the rest of the time.

Of course a big advantage for offroad use is you can get factory 4WD in the pickup!
Old 12-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #15
Site Team

FWIW, if I were actually considering this rig, I'd offer something like $110K and see where the discussion goes.

As someone posted on this forum, at a Mecum auction just earlier this month had a 2013 Sportsmobile go for $176K. Do I think that's crazy, and this vehicle asking price is crazy, YES, but well thought-out and well-equipped rigs are selling for high prices.

Herb
Old 12-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #16

^^^ Yep, the seller is asking what he is because he can. It is a wicked rig, no doubt, athough a little loud for my taste. I'm in a Tundra with RTT these days soon to be replaced with a Super Pacific Switchback (simple pop up truck shell) and am very happy with a truck these days after all the vans I've had. They are very nice inside (cab interior) and the benefit of a durable OEM 4x4 set up is a big draw. The only thing I miss is walk through capability, and I mean that is the only thing!

Anyone who thinks this price is outrageous should head on over to Expedition Portal and look at all of the Earthroamer clones people are building and selling. $150k is a price I would never pay but it's not at all uncommon in this vanlife, overlandlife, cash out and hit the road in style life so many are embracing.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote