Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #1

4 Cargo 4x4's @ Fam Vans

Fam Vans in Fountain Valley, Ca has 4 cargo 4x4 vans on their lot. 3 are E350's & 1 Express 3500. All seem to be ex-border patrol vans. They are pretty rough so some one looking to do work themselves might find a deal.
I talked to a salesman and he didn't have any info or price...said they just got them in.

http://http://www.famvans.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Message_1530055081414.jpg  

GARhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

According to their website the Chevy only has a 4.8 liter in it. That seems real small for a 3500 4x4.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Did they put the 4.8 in 3500s?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

was driving by fam vans today so stopped in to check these bad boys out. they are thrashed border patrol vehicles. all had a large hole in the roof with either partially or fully removed ac units. Other misc holes are on the body for removed aux lighting (I'm assuming). Interiors are in bad shape, looks like they were stripped to only the 2 front seats. All have cargo side doors. 2 of 3 fords have old style dash. 2 of 3 fords are extended. And yes, they also told me the chevy has a 4.8 which I still find hard to believe.

Talked to a guy there that seemed as if he could have been an owner and he told me they would consider selling them in their current condition for $15-20K each but plan on "building" them and selling for $25-30K. Way better deals out there in my opinion.
PBR Overall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Overall View Post
was driving by fam vans today so stopped in to check these bad boys out. they are thrashed border patrol vehicles. all had a large hole in the roof with either partially or fully removed ac units. Other misc holes are on the body for removed aux lighting (I'm assuming). Interiors are in bad shape, looks like they were stripped to only the 2 front seats. All have cargo side doors. 2 of 3 fords have old style dash. 2 of 3 fords are extended. And yes, they also told me the chevy has a 4.8 which I still find hard to believe.

Talked to a guy there that seemed as if he could have been an owner and he told me they would consider selling them in their current condition for $15-20K each but plan on "building" them and selling for $25-30K. Way better deals out there in my opinion.

Thanks for posting the price's, saved me a trip down there.
CrudeMotorsports1439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Overall View Post
... they would consider selling them in their current condition for $15-20K...

I know the market is crazy, but is it THAT crazy?

Herb
Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Did they put the 4.8 in 3500s?
Yes, they do. This blows my mind but I see them all the time. LWB big old Chevy 3500s with a 4.8l. What gives? This is must be the underdog of vehicle powerplants and I didn't know but I'm still not willing to risk it. At least a 5.3 or I keep shopping.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #8

Those prices are crazy for the condition they are in.
PBR gave a good discription of them. Better to wait for them to fix them up at those prices.
GARhead is offline   Reply With Quote